diy solar

diy solar

Couple of newbie questions.

R1200GS

I want to build a 10-15kw system on a new construction house. With the price of the panels in the pallet quantities approaching $0.25 per watt prices on other components play a major role in the overall cost. I'm just getting started and it is hard for me to account for all necessary parts. What is the final number I should budget for?
The system will be grid-tied and should be ready for the battery backup. I haven't figured the exact architecture yet. I'd prefer to run microinverters, but it seems that an all in one string inverter is the most cost-effective way to add a battery. What do you think is optimal?
Am I likely to run into some hidden regulatory issues? Our guide says:
"Although a licensed master electrician is required to hook up the panels to the electric system, there are no special
certification requirements to install the solar system itself in Maryland" https://energy.maryland.gov/Reports/A Maryland Consumers Guide to Solar.pdf
So it seems like I can do most of the work myself and hire an electrician only to commission the system.

See if you will be forced on a utility rate plan that is disadvantageous.

What are your utility rates?

As for budget, around $1/W for hardware, so $10k to $15k or so.

Microinverters are good for designers and installers. No need to plan strings and orientation. String inverters are efficient, reliable, easy to replace or service. However, optimizers or RSD go on individual panels, not easily accessible. hopefully no shade, and all panels on a string of same orientation. So go with RSD not optimizer (but you don't get panel level monitoring/diagnosis.)

Once you've got PV, would be nice to have backup. Consider a hybrid. Determine what motor-starting surge is required.
Proprietary battery backup, e.g. Enphase, Solar Edge, are expensive. Other inverters which use 48V battery are more cost effective. HV batteries seems like a good engineering design, just more expensive at this time. e.g. BYD batteries, cost about 2x what server rack or PowerPro does.

Design your system and make sure all equipment approved before buying. Some older inverters don't have required grid-support functions. Know what series/parallel PV array meets inverter requirements.

I'd highly recommend going with DC Panels to an AIO inverter (or two) so that if you don't have it in the budget right now to do batteries/generator, you can easily incorporate them later. If you never plan on incorporating batteries or a generator, ignore this sentence :)

But yeah, about $10-15K for initial (solar only) hardware.
US Code requires RSD on each panel and depending on your roof shade, it might be prudent to use optimizers with RSD which is a little expensive.

If you go with Microinverters, that's about the same price as the optimizers, but the combiner is cheaper than a full scale AIO inverter.

Yes, this is pretty much my long term plan. Start with a hybrid system, once its working build a battery. I have a general idea what to do, but devil is in the details.
I recently learned about the RSD requirement. It makes microinverters more attractive price wise. But AIO makes it easy to integrate a battery.

Yes, this is pretty much my long term plan. Start with a hybrid system, once its working build a battery. I have a general idea what to do, but devil is in the details.
I recently learned about the RSD requirement. It makes microinverters more attractive price wise. But AIO makes it easy to integrate a battery.
The Tigo optimizers are about $50/panel and include RSD. Enphase microinverters are $200/panel. Across 35 panels (ish for 10-15kw), that adds up quick.

The Tigo optimizers are about $50/panel and include RSD. Enphase microinverters are $200/panel. Across 35 panels (ish for 10-15kw), that adds up quick.
A box of IQ8+ on Amazon comes down to $124 each.
Would it be smart to build one array on a string AIO and supplement it with a microinverter array?

A box of IQ8+ on Amazon comes down to $124 each.
Would it be smart to build one array on a string AIO and supplement it with a microinverter array?
I'd do it all one way. Less to mess up. Easier to adjust later. For the most part (except for very specific configurations), microinverters shut down on grid down. DC to AIO will keep you online should the solar be sufficient. Can even get a single cheaper 48v battery to ensure this at the start.

Thank you. I wanted microinverters because they have per panel MQTT, monitoring and diagnostics, and make adding additional panels easy.

Back