diy solar

diy solar

inverter fault connection documentation??

maxpower

Hello,

I have a Sunny Boy 6.0-US inverter installed at my house as part of a recently installed PV system that I completed with the help of my electrician (after my original contractor abandoned the project, taking my deposit!). As a result I'm handling all the paperwork and have just passed all city inspections. To connect to my power authority (PNM in New Mexico) they require "inverter fault connection documentation." I have not been able to identify this information in any of the manuals and spec sheets I've found online and was hoping someone could help me locate it.

Here is the description per the PNM webpage:
  • Can be significantly higher than the maximum continuous output current rating
  • Sometimes found on Spec Sheet
  • Often a separate technical document from the manufacturer, may require contacting manufacturer
  • Fault current measured in Arms, duration in cycles or milliseconds
I have reached out to SMA without any luck. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Incorrect wording in my original post / title. I meant "Inverter Fault Current Documentation"

I have a second description from PNM:

"Fault current information - Fault current information showing the AC output fault current for each type of inverter used. Fault current at 3 cycles or 50 ms is preferable. If the manufacturer does not provide this, the closest available reading is acceptable. Acceptable documentation for the AC output fault current: (1) specifications data sheet from the manufacturer; or (2) an e-mail from the manufacturer giving the AC output fault current. Please not that official documentation is required; noting the data on the 1-line or 3-line diagrams will not be accepted."

I have not heard back from SMA and wondering if anyone knows where this information is commonly found? Thanks

You could always try looking through your product's documentation, available here. There are 24 different testing certificates listed, I'm guessing one of them has the information you need.

Hi Maxpower,
I am in New Mexico and having the same issue of trying to find the "inverter fault current and fault current duration. (ARMS)" documentation for my PNM application for a 10kw rooftop array. were you ever able to solve this or find the appropritate document? Thanks for any help

diy solar

diy solar
Back