diy solar

diy solar

Possible inverter fault ?

solarsurfer123

Hi all
I have a china inverter 4200, ( 4200VA Hybrid Solar Inverter Off-Grid MPPT 110A 230V 450VDC Pure Sine Wave+WiFI) which has, for auto utility connection if no power, but mainly for solar and battery charging.
I have qty of new panels all connected to 8x 130ah wet leisure batteries.
All batteries were purchased from the same manufacturer, but are different looking. I chatted with them and they say they are the same battery, and i shouldn't have any problems. 4x one type, and 4x other type all 130ah, same manufacturer, connected up as 4x 24v as inverter minimum is 24v operation. large cables connect each
battery.

All the batteries are fully charged by end of the day 15:00 hours this time of year.
My only load (as im testing all this out) is 150 watts of lights, on a timer, to only work between 06:00 am to 18:00 pm (12 hours) . Sun comes up and provides the power around 8am to 3pm,

The batteries seems to discharge very quickly, and on some days have been flat by the time i check the voltage at around 07:00 am the following morning.

I have tried turning off the load and done some tests :-

With no load but full batteries, I note a large amount of power goes overnight, so this could be a faulty diode on the panels, which I have ordered some inline diodes for this.
Tried turning off the solar panels over night, leaving inverter on, but there is still a battery drain, like from 12.9 to around 12.3 over night, with no load.
Tried turning off panels and inverter overnight and dont get a single 1/100th volt drainage, and all batteries are same voltage as what they were at 15:00pm.

My thoughts are possible bad diode, but also a faulty inverter ? Surely there shouldn't be any drain when not in use.
manual states operation mode in standby is 2 watts.
Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance if you can !
Regards

There is no such thing as a Chinese discount aio unit that consumes 2watts at idle that would be a unicorn for sure.
i would guess your idle consumption is 50+ watts you need to get a shunt installed that will tell you the real story.
I like the victron units there great but a little more expensive but worth it

There is no such thing as a Chinese discount aio unit that consumes 2watts at idle that would be a unicorn for sure.
i would guess your idle consumption is 50+ watts you need to get a shunt installed that will tell you the real story.
I like the victron units there great but a little more expensive but worth it
So you dont know the answer to my question is what your saying, and instead of answering the question you prefer to advertise anther product ?
mmmmmm....... not even the same product !

So you dont know the answer to my question is what your saying, and instead of answering the question you prefer to advertise anther product ?
mmmmmm....... not even the same product !
I was recommending a victron shunt to see what your actual usage is so you have a accurate picture of what’s happening, then we’ll both know the answer to your question

but you can see if the company that makes your aio makes shunts also being the stellar results your having with your current equipment why change ?

Back