diy solar

diy solar

IP-65 / Salt Spray Hybrid Inverter

Shimmy

Solar Wizard
Are there any IP-65 inverters out there that can handle salt spray in a 2-3kW range? The location it would go is very close to pounding surf and thick layers of salt quickly accumulate on everything. It would be coupled to (4) 400W half-cell panels and a 5kWh weatherproof battery to support a fridge, 500W emergency marine spotlight, a PTZ camera and some networking equipment.

Putting it into a box isn't really an option because any ventilation holes would quickly cake up with salt, although the battery could be installed in a supplemental box with dessicant. The PV panels will need frequent washdown.

Thanks!

It's going to have to go in a sealed box but with S trap bends in the ventilation pipes left and right.
Thanks. I need to add a screen to the vent pipes to limit gecko access, but I guess I could do that on the middle of the trap to limit salt buildup. S rather than U?

Salt is still in the air.....might add filters....like car air filters on the inlet and outlet.

You want sealed. Outback had a range of vented and sealed inverters. Charge controller not built in; you'd need to find a sealed one. The Outback and Midnight I'm aware of are vented. MSTE Sunny Island Charger is sealed. Probably various sealed Victron inverters and SCC.

Early SMA battery and PV inverters were sealed. Some today have sealed electronics but also a fan over heatsink in the back. They say 3R, but I think electronics is 4x; not sure about possible wires through from "sealed" volume to fan cooled portion.

Back