diy solar

diy solar

Is A Small 48V System Doable?

PaulLad

I need a 500 watt pure sine inverter and a 20 amp controller with 1k panels and a 5k battery. Is this doable in 48V? The main reason I want to do 48V is I already have a 6k generator and want to get the chargeverter for backup. Having a hard time finding small components in 48V. Thanks!

I need a 500 watt pure sine inverter and a 20 amp controller with 1k panels and a 5k battery. Is this doable in 48V? The main reason I want to do 48V is I already have a 6k generator and want to get the chargeverter for backup. Having a hard time finding small components in 48V. Thanks!
The bottleneck/tricky part will likely be the MPPT. You need headroom in the string voltage above 48V for a standard buck MPPT. I think there should be buck MPPT compatible with 2s of any panel (including 54 cell)

If you want to do 1kw of 2P it will be challenging. You would have to go to buck boost charge controller which are made for charging mobility devices direct from solar, but that isn’t necessarily the most robust R&D lineage.

I ran the numbers for my house (not that I would actually run a small 2,000 watt generator 12 hours per day). Using the 18 amp 48v charger with a small 2000 watt generator. Will charge my batteries around 1 kW per hour. For a total of 12 kWh. My entire house load during the winter is 14-18 kWh. My statement above assumes some solar input to make up for the excess usage.

diy solar

diy solar
Back