diy solar

diy solar

Is BMS needed for GEL batteries?

AUS_James

Hi all,
I have googled heaps, and I think I understand (at least at a basic level) what the BMS does, however, is it always needed?
It looks like I need it for my LiFePO4 batteries, but do I need it for a GEL battery? Is it something I always need for any battery?

I have the Growatt SPF 5000 SE inverter, and having some problems with my current setup (listed here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/new-setup-having-bms-comms-problems.70911/)

I have a "spare" new GEL battery kicking about the place, I was wondering, can I connect that directly up to my inverter, change the settings to match the GEL battery, and away we go.. or will I end up on the thread about blowing yourself up and "learning" from your mistakes....?

AND, where can I learn more? apart from harassing you lot all the time, are there any courses, guides, etc.. people can recommend to get a better understanding of solar setups and power management?
Thank you.

I need it for my LiFePO4 batteries, but do I need it for a GEL battery?
You do not need a BMS Battery Management System for Gel batteries.

You can connect that safely to your inverter as long as they are the same volts.

However, most inverters will draw a Gel, flooded or AGM to very low levels if left on and that can damage the battery.

The recommended cut off voltage is 11.6 volts.

Your inverter should have a tag that identifies the cut off and some inverters allow you to set the cut off.

You do not need a BMS Battery Management System for Gel batteries.

You can connect that safely to your inverter as long as they are the same volts.

However, most inverters will draw a Gel, flooded or AGM to very low levels if left on and that can damage the battery.

The recommended cut off voltage is 11.6 volts.

Your inverter should have a tag that identifies the cut off and some inverters allow you to set the cut off.
Thanks! That is good to know! I only have the one GEL battery (I will check specs, but I think it is a 12V 200aH) so probably not enough to run the "granny flat" from, but good to know about the BMS!

Back