diy solar

diy solar

Is off grid use of SolarEdge SE6000A-US possible

KauaiMolokai

Solar Enthusiast
Greetings Wise Ones of Solar, Has anyone here been able to make a SolarEdge SE6000A-US work in a completely off-grid installation? If so, would you please share how this was achieved? Thanks.

You'd need to add an off-grid inverter to do AC Coupling. It's possible, but not cheap. If you don't already have it installed, start from scratch with the right inverter.

Thanks. I agree about using the right equipment as a basic principle. But I also enjoy learning. So I'm curious whether if I was given a couple of SE-6000A's how much of an off-grid inverter it would take to make them work (off-grid)? I appreciate any information received. It's usually infinitely preferable to trying to re-invent the wheel.

The Solar Edge SE6000A-SE is a "Grid Tie" inverter. It requires a solid power waveform for 5 minutes before it will produce power. So by itself, it will not function without a stable "grid".

With that being said, there is a way to make it work. You will need to add a battery based inverter that is powerful enough to control the voltage and frequency to produce a local "grid". Is the Solar Edge system already up and running on grid and you want to take it off grid?

I saw Amy's post pop up as I am typing this. altE store is a great resource, and I am now a customer of sorts.

If the Solar Edge system is not currently functioning, don't bother trying to use it off grid. Just get a hybrid or off grid system from the beginning, it will be simpler to setup and likely won't even cost much more. If you get something like an OutBack SkyBox, or Sol-Ark, you can even hook your solar panels right into it, add a battery bank, and be good to go. If you are updating an existing system, you need to make the inverter think you have a grid. Your new battery based inverter needs to be larger than the grid tie one, some want a 20% margin to ensure it can control the current. I am adding a Schneider XW-Pro which is rated at 6800 watts. My current grid tie system is under 4000 watts so I know I am good there, but it will be borderline for the SE6000 you have. How much solar is connected to it? Even if it is less, the fact that the inverter CAN put out 25 amps at 240 volts could make it overwhelm the 6800 watt battery inverter. If it starts pulling the voltage out of range, the whole system will shut down.

And now I see your reply. So you don't have the SE6000 running.

Even for free, it does not save you much if you are building an off grid setup from scratch. The cost of an inverter that will fake it into working AC coupled will cost about the same as a new hybrid on it's own. The Schneider route also works, but the solar charge controllers are an extra cost. How much power do you need? How much storage for power without sun?

Thanks GX. Very helpful.

The backstory is that I just found a source of these inverters, possibly cheap. I often buy various items in more quantity that I need, with the occasional successful benefit of ending up with items I want for "free". (Or more frequently a lot of excess items I'll never use! ha!) Thank you again for the good explanation of what it really takes to "fake" the SE6000 into thinking it has a grid connection. Ultimately, once I think I know enough and as I have the time, I'm going to build 2 or 3 solar off grid systems for places I have (shacks really). I plan to be vastly over-powered, and have vastly more batteries than I need, based on the premise that as they say in my aviation world, you can never have too much power. I'm 100% confident I'll find a use for it. And my "solar system" use will exceed my current grid power use by at least a factor or 10. One place doesn't even have grid hooked up, but it will require a lot of power to use everything which is there but currently not used, or usable. You convinced me hybrid is the way to go. Much appreciate you sharing your knowledge gained from experience. Shine on!

Back