diy solar

diy solar

Is there any Privacy Respecting/Ethical hardware out there?

I have some professional CAD programs that only run on Windows.
Solution for me, is I just run Windows on a dedicated PC that is totally isolated from the internet.
If I need to upload or download specific data files, I do it through a thumb drive and a Linux PC that has an internet connection.

I have some professional CAD programs that only run on Windows.
Solution for me, is I just run Windows on a dedicated PC that is totally isolated from the internet.
If I need to upload or download specific data files, I do it through a thumb drive and a Linux PC that has an internet connection.
Yea, I just connect my systems to LAN share drive but disallow any other access.
Once you get higher "level" in CAD there's really no other systems that the software is made for other than windows. (solidworks etc)

Nothing else is left though. Audio and video production at high level are pretty crossplatform now. Peoples preference in software can force them on a system sure.. but CAD you pretty much have to use windows. Doubt anyone's gonna freeCAD or openscad their way engineering

Yea, I just connect my systems to LAN share drive but disallow any other access.
Once you get higher "level" in CAD there's really no other systems that the software is made for other than windows. (solidworks etc)

Nothing else is left though. Audio and video production at high level are pretty crossplatform now. Peoples preference in software can force them on a system sure.. but CAD you pretty much have to use windows. Doubt anyone's gonna freeCAD or openscad their way engineering

Solidworks had a pretty solid Linux CAD program that could read/write .DWG files natively, but they dropped development a few years back.

Now, I run old versions of AutoCad under XP in Virtual Box when I need to. They are quite old, but AutoCad hasn't actually added any basic functionality to 2D for many years and that's all I need.

Version converters (of which there are many) take care of the ridiculous alphabet soup of .DWG types.

Solidworks had a pretty solid Linux CAD program that could read/write .DWG files natively, but they dropped development a few years back.

Now, I run old versions of AutoCad under XP in Virtual Box when I need to. They are quite old, but AutoCad hasn't actually added any basic functionality to 2D for many years and that's all I need.

Version converters (of which there are many) take care of the ridiculous alphabet soup of .DWG types.
Yep we used that and there are some other ones for autocad but 3 of them have died in the past few years cuz they keep breaking it.
autocad is such a pain in the ass. We get sent them at one office I'm at and I have to run 5 vms just to open them and save as a PDF which our drafters use because they're doing 2D flooring stuff in adobe illustrator
I run kvm/qemu and have remote access to all of them... but the biggest pain is every like 1-4 months autocad makes their new formats incompatible so all the crap has to update
it's unbelievably annoying

I think since adobe's success with subscriptions all of them are slowly going to that and killing compatibility constantly so no hobbyists can keep up with free readers.

and yea I see that 100%. Most of these softwares haven't added shit for new features in 10 years. Now they're adding some AI stuff which is neat and finally new features. but they really barely added stuff for a long time.
I don't use the softwares typically. Most I do is circuit board / PCB design for hobby. But I do the tech/IT stuff for a bunch of engineers and artists

NO. TNO = Trust NO One
I disagree. the fact most of these BMS etc can work without internet is pretty good.
In 20-30 years I bet they'll be like the shitty smart lights / outlets / security cameras and literally not power on if they can't ping their home server
We'll have to go out of our way to get that one that doesn't need that.

I disagree. the fact most of these BMS etc can work without internet is pretty good.
In 20-30 years I bet they'll be like the shitty smart lights / outlets / security cameras and literally not power on if they can't ping their home server
We'll have to go out of our way to get that one that doesn't need that.
It's a mind set by Security and Network Engineers. TNO

Solarwinds, Windows. LOL

Solar Assistant connected to my Growatt and DIY batteries using Overkill BMS's and a Victron Smart Shunt all operate on a closed LAN.

Yep we used that and there are some other ones for autocad but 3 of them have died in the past few years cuz they keep breaking it.
autocad is such a pain in the ass. We get sent them at one office I'm at and I have to run 5 vms just to open them and save as a PDF which our drafters use because they're doing 2D flooring stuff in adobe illustrator
I run kvm/qemu and have remote access to all of them... but the biggest pain is every like 1-4 months autocad makes their new formats incompatible so all the crap has to update
it's unbelievably annoying

I think since adobe's success with subscriptions all of them are slowly going to that and killing compatibility constantly so no hobbyists can keep up with free readers.

and yea I see that 100%. Most of these softwares haven't added shit for new features in 10 years. Now they're adding some AI stuff which is neat and finally new features. but they really barely added stuff for a long time.
I don't use the softwares typically. Most I do is circuit board / PCB design for hobby. But I do the tech/IT stuff for a bunch of engineers and artists

Subscriptions = pure evil.

I will not "buy" any software based on a "we gotcha now, mutha****er" business model.

There are always workarounds. Those might mean using several proggies to what one "subscription" might do, but such is life.

I am glad I am reaching the end of my working life. I don't know how a single-person business would exist in the "screw 'em, I've got mine, too bad for you" society.

Is there any Privacy Respecting/Ethical hardware out there?

I’m a Prepper for lack of a better word and I’m anxious about a 3rd party shutting down or monitoring my Equipment. Like for instance the Government through Operating system back doors or any others that might do so acting in their on their own self interests.

Some of the reasons why I’m concerned are:-

I’ve heard of software licenses expire bricking every device on earth with the same model number.

I’ve seen first hand Microsoft altering things in my laptop needing only my product key.

I’ve watched the Australia Parliament pushing a bill ordering software developers to provide them with back doors and discussing an advanced government surveillance system called the capability.

I’ve heard of BMW and John Deer switching off hardware that people own in order to introduce Subscription based functionality.

I have concerns about geo fenced and internet dependent devices being unable to work when the internet and satellites go offline (I’ve personally had hardware malfunction due to internet drop outs and GPS jamming).

Even my JK BMS needs location services on for some reason.

Someone made a virus that activated when it found the VSDs running Iranian Nuclear centrifuges destroying them by running them at resonant frequencies.

God only knows what AI could do to us.

I want some devices smart enough to do the job without being a security threat and will work in a long term grid down situation.

I was going to ask also for suggestions for devices that isn’t engineered to limit service life or be unrepairable through planned obsolescence, Even though all this existed once it seems it has become a bit of a tall order in 2023.

I’m looking for Solar and UPS/inverter Equipment as well as a BMS with monitoring and a 2A active balancing capabilities.

I have a built 2 Batteries so far an 280Ah S4 Lifepo4 for a UPS/backup and a 30Ah S14 NMC Battery For an Escooter both with JK bmss.

I’m charging them with a Riden 6024 at the moment.

I hope I have started a thread the brings power back to the people. No pun intended.

Thanks in advance to all the open minded answerers out there.

Just search for solar hardware which have software that can be operated locally (which don't force cloud operation only). Like for example, Solar Assistant has a local-only option (to disable cloud connection), or Victron Connect have local-only options. Then also, when setting any IPs on those devices, don't set gateway addresses, put a firewall rule in your router in blocking inbound and outbound on those IPs for any solar equipment (second layer of safety in case the device tries to auto-detect a gateway).

Purchase a public IP from your ISP, set it on one of your WAN interfaces. Get a home router that supports (Open VPN) oVPN or similar. Create your own private/public key pair on your oVPN server, import the client cert file (.ovpn file) on your smartphones into oVPN client.

Now you can remotely (from anywhere in the world) open a VPN connection to your LAN network in your house, and ping any of your LAN IPs and log into any local devices there, to access your local web services or any other app which requires device access. Can even RDP to any local Windows boxes in your house (or VNC for Linux or Mac). There are oVPN client apps for Windows, Linux, Mac OS, iPhone, and Android (I put them on all my devices).

I've done this for years and years, always would have my own home network VPN server. Until this last ISP, silly Starlink, they don't offer public IP addresses, so I am stuck using Victron VRM for now. This is at my off-grid place out here.

In town at my apt, I do still have oVPN server running over the fiber we have there, it works good for me to use a VPN client over the Starlink into that fiber network where I can access stuff in town, but I do not have any solar equipment in town to monitor. That fiber ISP, they only give me a DHCP public IP which changes sometimes, so I use DynDNS feature in my Linksys router to auto-update the IP on the DNS lookup so I don't have to be aware when the public IP changes.

The home VPN server was especially nice when I was in Shanghai, China on business once, and I couldn't check my Gmail or Google anything (since CCP blocks all access to Google services), so I would VPN to my home network from China, so then remotely using that gateway located at my US home, I could check my Gmail, and Google for stuff as normal, just like I was physically at home (specify in setting for oVPN to use remote LAN gateway for internet access).

As far as your JKBMS wanting Location Services, can you try an app like this for example?

Fake GPS Location:

EDIT:
If firmware on such solar inverter units requires internet, one could temporarily set the gateway, unblock the firewall, do the necessary firmware upgrade, then revert back to high security, or in many cases, there would be some method to manually put the new firmware onto a USB thumbdrive and update the firmware using that method.

Last edited:
Or just completely shun any equipment that requires any kind of internet connection to work.
The wifi dongle for my ASF is still in the box, somewhere.
I did have a worrying thought about what they could be writing into the firmware of these units after reading about the train incident...

Or just completely shun any equipment that requires any kind of internet connection to work.
Yea I wish. People are obsessed with it.
If it REQUIRES internet I don't use it. There's some stuff that gets hacked (like security cameras) with an open source no internet solution.. then I buy those things used on ebay to flash

glad to see the IOT Fad is dying back and becoming stagnant though, but as it gets easier to slap a wifi thing in stuff, more and more move toward it

Off grid systems can be pretty safe in this respect, even ones built by folks you might not want to trust.

But if you're grid tied there are a myriad of possible issues you can't easily sidestep. The smart power meter is a glaring example.

worst thing about grid tie is 99% of areas they can now enter your area to check on your system at any time... with or without you there.
Other than the more insurance cost etc that really puts it off for me.

I don't think I've seen much conversation about firewalls, though there is some implicit mention given the "isolated networks".

It's pretty easy to build a router that has multiple network connections on it. If you have a public internet connection, keep the router manufacturers and software distributions disconnected. A breach of one system won't lead to the breach of the other one. Practically, collusion between these manufacturers is nonexistent. OpenWRT is a good place to find software that will run on 10 year old routers you can find on eBay or your local charity (ie Goodwill). Don't ever upgrade the router if you are seriously concerned.

Now configure the nodes (either manually or via DHCP) with no gateway address. The equipment doesn't even know which node on the isolated broadcast domain (ie Ethernet) is an exit node. Configure your gateway so it sends an email or flashes a light if any nodes try to get out.

Now rogue nodes are obvious. They can't get out without help from the gateway and you get an instant alarm if they try. You have weeks to resolve the issue because they simply can't get out of the box you've built for them. You can still reach them from your desktop network, for instance with a proxy running on the gateway. I can go into all that, but OpenWRT has thousands of packages and one probably exists that does this just fine.

just go open source. the protocols underlying all that solar hardware is somewhat standardized...
^^^ solar stuff and really general automation stuff all uses some sort of modbus protocol ( or can bus... which i might add later ). just don't plug your stuff into the internet and use the lower level stuff like this.

now... that i've finished shilling for my stuff :p
---
since networking has been mentioned...

get yourself a thinclient or sff pc, install proxmox ( hypervisor ), then on one tiny device you can install any servers you may want. all open source. can push backups to another proxmox node or plug in a old lto tape autoloader library. tape uses very little energy. home assistant, linux, plop on a usb hdd \w a samba share and you can do local backups for your personal computers.

get a dual nic sff, and you can plop pfsense on that to handle your firewall / router needs! since wrt was mentioned.
all for 10 watts of usage.

can of course do it all baremetal, but hypervisors are better to keep the energy consumption down.

no need for subscription bs. just gotta dive knee deep into it all.

can of course do it all baremetal, but hypervisors are better to keep the energy consumption down.
Kubernetes even better. Docker containers are based on Linux cgroups, which is boosted setuid. Single kernel means much leaner footprint and even lower energy usage because there is only one kernel processing interrupts and no expensive superprivileged mode context switches as with hardware virtualization.

for proxmox just use LXC since it's already built in. Not really any difference than bare metal

Back