diy solar

diy solar

Request thread removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with soldered connections as long as they are good clean connections.
(Everything on every circuit board is soldered)
And the 7 AWG silicone insulated conductors are more than capable of handling 100a each, at that short length.

Not the best soldering job I’ve ever seen, and not the worst either.

I would not have left it like that, but I am not a worker in a Chinese factory making a dollar a day and turning out 1000 of these in a work shift.

7awg wire appears to have an ampacity of about 65A so again, functional.

This is the DIY forum, see if there’s any difference if you swap those out for a single 1awg wire or something like #2 or #4 welding cable.

this JK-BMS model comes with impossibly short B- and P- leads

Depends on how you mount it, etc. I just go to a combiner bus bar with the two leads, and go with bigger wire where I have to go from there.

It's exactly this kind of thing that makes buying a finished battery a better idea than DIY.

Depends on your use case and situation. I have 7 of these running now, two of them for 5 years, without issues.

@Steve_S made that beautiful cable, I'm thinking of just going with this kludge job. After seeing those blobs of solder holding the wires on the motherboard, this is hardly worse. Unfortunately don't have a shorter M8 bolt handy. What's the best way to insulate this? Just buy giant shrink wrap tubing?

View attachment 211609
Shrink tubing is fine. But you should either cut that bolt shorter or replace it with a shorter one first.

I didn't extend my leads. I planned for the BMS to be next to the battery negative and the breaker to be next to the BMS.

Hello...
As far as I know, at this time no one from JK is active on this site. I also think that Nami from Hankzor (one of the suppliers) has abandoned this ship.
Regarding the soldering, I have seen far worse, that isn't so bad and BTW, soldering something like that IS a PITA ! The Super-Fine Silicone Wire is capable of handling the loads and I fully agree those wires should have been longer to start with. The photo you posted, I have quite a few out there that I did like that and no issues at all. That includes 150A & 200A models. Now I used Silicone Jacketed wire in my extensions not regular fine wire copper welding wire.
- ! NB: The New Inverter Model JK does not come with soldered wires. Some vendors are providing good Silicone Jacketed wires to go with them.
One of our members has posted photo's of how he's setup this new steel cases with Class-T Fuses, @S Davis starts showing that here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/luyuan-battery-case.44827/post-1058887

So when you were ordering parts for your first DIY battery, you had the forethought to look at those leads and know, in advance, you would need 2 extra busbars plus supporting ring terminals, and you ordered everything and had the extra busbars ready when you started to assemble them, and this caused no delay for you

No, I just cut off a piece of copper bar and drilled three holes. Crimped on the lugs/ring terminals which I got at the local hardware store.

Some delays with DIY are inevitable, especially when you start out. I was (as far as I know) the first person on this forum to even try the JK BMS, and even opened it up to make sure the MOSFETs were properly sized etc. This is part of the fun of DIY.

Soldered connection is better than crimped. But if both connections are properly made, the difference isn't enough to matter.
The only variable is vibration.
Soldered is not recommended in a high vibration situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back