diy solar

diy solar

is Victron BatteryProtect adequate low voltage protection for a LiFePO4 battery?

bkfamily1

Bryan camping in Ohio
I have a LiFePO4 battery. In my charge control system, I am using a Victron BP100 BatteryProtect to disconnect the load and protect the battery from excess discharge. I was expecting to keep the battery from going below 14% or 20% SOC which correspond to 12.5V or 12.9V. The BP100 can only be set to shut down for under voltage at a voltage between 10.5V and 12.0V, so at best it will stop the system from discharging when it reaches 12.0V. Is the BP100 good for this purpose set at 12.0V? Or is it really meant for a different type of battery operating at lower voltages? If the BP100 is not adequate for this purpose, can you point me to an effective alternative?

I have a LiFePO4 battery. In my charge control system, I am using a Victron BP100 BatteryProtect to disconnect the load and protect the battery from excess discharge. I was expecting to keep the battery from going below 14% or 20% SOC which correspond to 12.5V or 12.9V. The BP100 can only be set to shut down for under voltage at a voltage between 10.5V and 12.0V, so at best it will stop the system from discharging when it reaches 12.0V. Is the BP100 good for this purpose set at 12.0V? Or is it really meant for a different type of battery operating at lower voltages? If the BP100 is not adequate for this purpose, can you point me to an effective alternative?

It was originally designed for lead acid systems. 12.0V is fine.

Back