diy solar

diy solar

load control for low temp and low V??

bkfamily1

Bryan camping in Ohio
My charge control (Renogy 40A Rover MPPT) does not have provision to cut off the load for low temp. It does have a programmable low voltage cutoff.

Currently, I do not run my load through the charge controller. Instead, it is connected to the battery, but I have a Victron BatteryProtect for low voltage cutoff and a temperature controller and relay cutting off the load for low temp. The battery does not have programmable low voltage cutoff and only has catastrophic low voltage protection, hence the use of the BatteryProtect. The charge controller does not have an external input I can use or other provision for low temp cutoff, hence the use of the temp controller and relay to remove load at low temp.

I like my setup except that the Victron BatteryProtect can only cut off the load at 12.0V or lower. If I want to cut off at 14% charge to maximize battery life, then I need to be cutting off at 12.5V per the battery charge and voltage info provided by the maker of my battery, or 12.4V per the "best settings for max life" post I found on here. One way I could do that is by using the SCC to cut off the load at low voltage which can be programmed higher than the max of 12.0V found on the Victron unit.

I am thinking that the BatteryProtect cutting off at 12.0V is fine. I understand that 12.4 or 12.5 may be better to get the absolute max battery life possible. But I also get the impression that Victron is good equipment, and that cutting off at 12.0V is fine. Also, I think the charge controller is limited regarding the size of the load connected through it to 20A, so I would prefer to avoid that limitation.

Am I missing something? Or is my setup just fine for good battery life?

Back