diy solar

diy solar

Low temp issues

chilly2

Hello!

I have four 12v LiFePO4 batteries in series for 48v stored in an attached and insulated garage. A battery balancer was installed about six weeks ago and has kept them within .1 to .2v of each other. The charge controller the batteries are connected to has a low temp cut off which I tested in ice water. It works. They are connected to a Victron smart shunt, and there is also a portable Bluetooth thermometer beside them.

It has been significantly below freezing in my location recently and the batteries have acted strangely.

- The smart shunt reported a high voltage (57.6v) early on in the day. This never normally happens.
- The batteries were only accepting a couple of amps, though the array was able to provide plenty.

A voltmeter check while charging was going on showed the battery terminals at 14.6v, 13.3v, 14.5v and 14.5v. With the clamp meter I could see the balancer leads to the 13.3v battery were pushing about 4 amps into it.

It's above freezing now (42F) so I plan to just leave the batteries and balancer alone and see if they equal out.

How can I avoid this in future? I'm assuming a heat mat of some sort. Can you recommend any? I'm thinking if I can run it from a smart plug I can trigger it when the temp outside is reported as 32F or worse. I saw some pads on Amazon but they all allegedly got burning hot to the touch, which doesn't sound good.

Penny for your thoughts.

saw some pads on Amazon but they all allegedly got burning hot to the touch, which doesn't sound good.
There are pads that work. ‘Burning hot’ to your fingers versus actually burning hot is a few hundred degrees different.
The pad should be on a thermostat- they don’t need to be room temperature they need to be above 32*F/0*C by a margin. And insulate them.

There are pads that work. ‘Burning hot’ to your fingers versus actually burning hot is a few hundred degrees different.
The pad should be on a thermostat- they don’t need to be room temperature they need to be above 32*F/0*C by a margin. And insulate them.

Thanks for the reply! Are there any particular pads you recommend?

Back