diy solar

diy solar

Will low temp charging cutoff damage charge controller?

badger132

I recently installed the 230AH LiTime battery with low temperature charging protection, and am concerned that I now may have the battery disconnect when the solar panels are trying to charge the battery, resulting in damage to the charge controller. I have been told to never have solar panels connected to the charge controller without a battery connected. I am not sure if this protection is the same thing as have no battery at all, electrically speaking, but I thought it may be a new problem since protected batteries are relatively rare compared to those that are not protected or electrically heated. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this problem? I assume that batteries that have a high temperature charging cutoff might cause a similar problem.

Last edited:
While not specific to your question, depends on the controller, but most handle it fine. New batteries almost always have cell imbalance that prevents charging to the typical 14.X voltage without triggering over-volt protection. The chargers simply spike at the end due to the removed load and then recover quickly.

This is kinda a worst case as the charger is actually providing current the the battery when the battery suddenly cuts itself out of the circuit, and the charger has to react appropriately.

With low temp charging protection, the charging just doesn't start.

The "connect battery before panels or they will be damaged" claim is mostly outdated and apply to older SCC.

If it is really cold, the charging never starts. Otherwise the charging process will heat up the battery and keep it warm enough to keep charging.
Note: this depends on where you put the temp sensor. If sitting on top of the battery, the open air could chill enough to trigger cutoff, but the battery is fine.

If it is really cold, the charging never starts. Otherwise the charging process will heat up the battery and keep it warm enough to keep charging.
Note: this depends on where you put the temp sensor. If sitting on top of the battery, the open air could chill enough to trigger cutoff, but the battery is fine.
There is no remote sensor in my setup- the LiTime battery I purchased has an internal protection circuit ask part of the BMS.

There is no remote sensor in my setup- the LiTime battery I purchased has an internal protection circuit ask part of the BMS.
If you were to cut the battery open I'll lay money there's a temp sensor attached to the BMS that is glued to the cells. That's the low temp sensor.

Back