diy solar

diy solar

Testing Low Temp Protection: LiTime 230AH 12V

rpsd

tl;dr first:
  • Is there a safe way to actually test low temp charge protection?
  • When it is activated, does a BMS typically cut the battery off completely? Or does it just prevent charging while still allowing discharge?
  • Without doing a Will Prowse-style teardown, can I put it in the freezer on a small (2-3 amp) charger and monitor to see if it cuts off? Other ideas?

Backstory:

Recently purchased some LiTime 230AH 12 volt batteries for our Class C RV. New to lithium/LIFEPO4, but not so new to outfitting the rig with 12 volt goodies. They are not yet installed but will be soon.

In my (mis)adventures and research, I've seen a comment or two that this specific battery has low temp protection. It is not advertised as such, nor is it specified in the product manual, but their customer service has confirmed to me that it does have it.

I was considering other options (2x or 3x 3-400AH) from LiTime, until I saw these batteries. They are a considerably smaller footprint than many other ~200AH batteries, and definitely the lowest cost per AH of the LiTime lineup. The low temp protection is just an unexpected bonus, but one that I'd like to verify myself too.

I think the easiest way to do it without a teardown is to stick the battery in a freezer for at least 24 hours, possibly more, to make sure the entire thing is below the low-temperature cutoff. Then attach a charger to it and see if it charges, yeah.

• When it is activated, does a BMS typically cut the battery off completely? Or does it just prevent charging while still allowing discharge?
  • Without doing a Will Prowse-style teardown, can I put it in the freezer on a small (2-3 amp) charger and monitor to see if it cuts off? Other ideas?
Common settings in the BMS stops the charge at a temperature between 5degC and 0 degC . Discharge is allowed down to -20 deg C.
Your idea of charging whilst its cooling is a good idea. Waiting till its really cold then charging could casue damage if the low temp protection does not exist.

This company normally doesn’t lie but I’d be interested in your test or a teardown of this battery. Wish it was 3kwh so I could get the 30% tax credit if I used it to build my system.

Back