diy solar

diy solar

Issue charging Big Battery Husky Batteries

Jonathan3900

I have six panels (350 watts each) that consistently produce 750-2500 watts daily. I see that people post that their Husky Big Batteries are charging to 58 volts. Mine only seems to charge to about 53.5-54. I wonder if I have something set up wrong.

Here is my setup.

6 panels at 350 watts.
1 Growatt 6k inverter
2 Big Battery Husky Batteries

The only reason I ask this is that now that it's hot out and we are using our DC mini split, it is running the batteries down pretty fast. I have attached a pic of our power generation.

My settings on the inverter are:

Option 5 - US2
Option 19 - 58.4
Option 20 - 58.4
Option 21 - 40

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if I need more panels or need more batteries. Or if I set something up wrong on the inverter.

Thanks all. I do appreciate it very much.

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_8758.PNG
    IMG_8758.PNG
    640.6 KB · Views: 16
BB is populated with non-technical morons. Float of 58.4V is absurd. Float should be 54.4V.

Recommend that you check ALL connections for quality.

You haven't specified your equipment, but I'll assume a Growatt or MPP Solar unit.

You are likely
  1. Dealing with imbalance issues
  2. Never getting fully charged as most charging occurs below 54.4V
  3. Outpacing your solar. Your charts suggest that you aren't getting anywhere near your solar capacity.
  4. Experiencing issues with your charger.

1 is indicated if at peak solar, you're showing the stated 53.5-54V with NO charging current. Recommend you reduce absorption to 55.2.V.
2 is indicated if you just never get to absorption voltage but show charging all day.
3 is just another version of 2 preventing you from getting fully charged.
4 sometimes these things are flakey. A reset entailing: 1) disconnect solar, 2) disconnect battery, 3) connect battery, 4) connect solar can restore function.

If 21 is disconnect, raise that to 48V. There is very little capacity remaining below 48V.

BB is populated with non-technical morons. Float of 58.4V is absurd. Float should be 54.4V.

Recommend that you check ALL connections for quality.

You haven't specified your equipment, but I'll assume a Growatt or MPP Solar unit.

You are likely
  1. Dealing with imbalance issues
  2. Never getting fully charged as most charging occurs below 54.4V
  3. Outpacing your solar. Your charts suggest that you aren't getting anywhere near your solar capacity.
  4. Experiencing issues with your charger.

1 is indicated if at peak solar, you're showing the stated 53.5-54V with NO charging current. Recommend you reduce absorption to 55.2.V.
2 is indicated if you just never get to absorption voltage but show charging all day.
3 is just another version of 2 preventing you from getting fully charged.
4 sometimes these things are flakey. A reset entailing: 1) disconnect solar, 2) disconnect battery, 3) connect battery, 4) connect solar can restore function.

If 21 is disconnect, raise that to 48V. There is very little capacity remaining below 48V.
Thank you very much for this. I have a couple questions.

1~ Nowhere near my solar capacity. What exactly does this mean?
2~ Imbalance in the batteries? So I need to try to test this somehow? They are within a volt so I figured they would be balanced.

BB has been zero help, so I appreciate you offering suggestions. Is there anything else I can show you so that you are better informed? Sorry to ask, but you seem to be the only person that wants to help.

Thanks again, Jonathan

Thank you very much for this. I have a couple questions.

1~ Nowhere near my solar capacity. What exactly does this mean?

You show lots of charging (green) and very little discharging (yellow).

2~ Imbalance in the batteries? So I need to try to test this somehow? They are within a volt so I figured they would be balanced.

If these are 2X 48V batteries in parallel, then they are essentially at exactly the same voltage. 1V deviation is likely just an inaccurate display. Confirm with voltmeter.

If these are 2X 24V batteries in series, and they are 1V off, then this is a huge problem They need to be disassembled, charged individually as 24V batteries and again in parallel if possible. Once fully charged, they need to be placed back in series for 48V.

BB has been zero help, so I appreciate you offering suggestions. Is there anything else I can show you so that you are better informed?

Can you access the individual cell voltages? If so, then once they've hit their peak voltage, that's when you want to capture the data.

Sorry to ask, but you seem to be the only person that wants to help.

If you have a clamp DC ammeter, you can verify how much current is flowing into both (series) batteries or each (parallel) battery. If you see that current is flowing at the peak voltage you've observed, they're still charging, and you might be outpacing your solar. If that's the case, decrease usage and allow them to charge and/or use a generator to supplement (If Growatt, you may need to change settings to get it to charge with the genny).

If your batteries have their own BMS then change the setting from US2 to USE, that will fix your issue. I use 56v bulk and a float of 54.4v per my battery spec sheet and it works perfect now.

If your batteries have their own BMS then change the setting from US2 to USE, that will fix your issue. I use 56v bulk and a float of 54.4v per my battery spec sheet and it works perfect now.
Thank you, I will check and see if they do.

How did it go?
I haven't gone back down to the cabin yet to check. Although today, the batteries are dead. UGH. There must be some setting on the inverter that is wrong. So frustrating. I wish that there was a checklist on what settings need to be on the inverter. So far, I keep guessing on them. Any advice on what the settings should be? I know that this is a generic question, but all the attempts I have made so far have made things worse.

Here are my settings and off grid system.
12kW LF Growatt, 16 x 350W panels (5600W), 3 x 5.6kWh Lifepo4 batteries (can use 3 because they are rated for 100A continuous discharge and 350A peak(3s)), 14kW 240V Kohler standby propane generator.

01 - SBU
02 - 180A
03 - APL
05 - USE
08 -240V
09 - 60Hz
11 - 100A
12 - 46.0V
13 - 54.0V
14 - SNU
19 - 56.0V
20 - 54.4V
21 - 44.0V

Here are my settings and off grid system.
12kW LF Growatt, 16 x 350W panels (5600W), 3 x 5.6kWh Lifepo4 batteries (can use 3 because they are rated for 100A continuous discharge and 350A peak(3s)), 14kW 240V Kohler standby propane generator.

01 - SBU
02 - 180A
03 - APL
05 - USE
08 -240V
09 - 60Hz
11 - 100A
12 - 46.0V
13 - 54.0V
14 - SNU
19 - 56.0V
20 - 54.4V
21 - 44.0V
Thank you VERY much! I appreciate it. I will switch a couple of my settings to match yours, and see what happens.

Any update with your BB set up?
Still having issues. I am working through them, but kind of at a standstill. I did get the generator hooked up, so it's been keeping them charged to about 70–80%. I am heading down today to install a larger charger, so I am hoping this solves the issue. The settings are so hard to get right.

Back