diy solar

diy solar

Its time to talk about the mighty Hysolis Apollo platform all-in-one solar generator.

That's true, he said he will measure it again using ammeter mode. I would be concerned about 180V delivering beyond 18uA since that voltage is very close to peak voltage of 120v AC line. It may be an issue if leakage current will be more than 0.5mA which you can feel for sure.

I think he said AC input was unplugged and inverter AC output was turned off. So it seemed to be from switcher inside MPPT.
The DMM might register frequency, and switching frequency may or may not be above the DMM's spec range (for voltage accuracy as well.)

Does Will have a scope? Somebody pointed out Rigol has scopes around $400 that could be useful for our inverter applications.
I'm using mostly second-hand Tektronix equipment. It can be useful to have AC & DC current probes, and high voltage/differential voltage probes, but those get expensive (I've bought some). Judicious use of DIY circuits could be sufficient for the modest frequencies involved.

Will mentioned that his panels are laying on wet concrete and have some leakage to ground.

The unit weight of 132 lbs for a 3kW inverter would seem to imply the AC inverter is a low frequency transformer based. Specs on web site are pretty thin. Cannot find what the input PV voltage range spec is. Blowing up the picture of back of case shows 120-450 vdc on PV port.

Since Will seemed to find the shock after hooking up PV this would imply the PV power is being injected like a separate 4kW AC coupled GT inverter to LF inverter AC output, but with internal wiring control on the 4 kW high frequency PV GT inverter.

If there is no galvanic isolation on the PV grid tie inverter to its PV input ports, the EMI filter capacitors on PV input terminals to case could create the electrical shock on case if case is not grounded. This would be the situation if there was no case ground connection.

If it is just EMI capacitors to case, the shock hazard would disappear if case was actually grounded via AC input breaker panel grounding.

Shock current through the EMI caps would only be 10-20 mA max but still not good.

It would be good if he tested the AC leakage current to ground through a current limiting resistor. If it is low, <20 mA AC, then issue is the EMI bypass capacitors to case ground.

Last edited:
However it happened.
Will got shocked, using it as intended.
And that's on the manufacturer to fix.
Hopefully Noone gets seriously hurt, before it is.

Feature set is progress, but 25 amp max single AC out with a 3000W continuous inverter is meh.

Does it at least provide PV power to loads while floating the battery? Gave up on larger personal power stations when burned by that lack of capability.

These manufacturers really should do there homework before sending out there units to Will, I mean what the heck are they thinking... now you have an uphill battle to re-establish credibility...

will has an updated video of these, however, i have a question about them. he says the unit is limited to 737 watts VAC input while the inverter is outputting [i assume the full 3000 watts], however, the manual only talks about 600 watts? either way if two are configured into split phase can each unit take 737 [600?] watts VAC input for a total of 1474 [1200?] while the pair is outputting 6000 watts at 240 VAC?

When I started this thread I was seriously considering the Hysolis Apollo platform. After researching ad-nauseum and the all-in capital expenditure costs/expansion and future proofing projections, I decided to go another route. I am happy where I ended up so far. I think I attained in my view, which is DIY and beginner at best, the fusion of both worlds in my portable and fixed hybrid solar solution.

When I started this thread I was seriously considering the Hysolis Apollo platform. After researching ad-nauseum and the all-in capital expenditure costs/expansion and future proofing projections, I decided to go another route. I am happy where I ended up so far. I think I attained in my view, which is DIY and beginner at best, the fusion of both worlds in my portable and fixed hybrid solar solution.
I've been contemplating the Apollo but it's very pricey. Can I ask what you went with? I'm thinking 2 dp and an extra battery. No solar yet. I want to grid charge at night. That's the plan anyway

I've been contemplating the Apollo but it's very pricey. Can I ask what you went with? I'm thinking 2 dp and an extra battery. No solar yet. I want to grid charge at night. That's the plan anyway
Check my profile and posts. I went with Delta pros and Sol-Ark with eg4 llv2's server cabinets.

Back