diy solar

diy solar

Its time to talk about the mighty Hysolis Apollo platform all-in-one solar generator.

RLM4JC

I think on paper Hysolis Apollo blows away ecoflow delta pros for whole house backup. I currently am maxed out on the Ecoflow DP's at 21kw hours and 3.2 KW solar input utilizing their smart home panel for 120/220 circuits. Hysolis Apollo looks to me as the next level for whole house backup or power plant/hybrid use. Ben from minutemanprep did an unboxing and review today for first glance at the platform with more testing in the future in split phase setups. I know Will will be testing in the near future. Apollo just may be a game changer.

How much are you selling them for?
I am not selling the Apollo's if that's your question. I have nothing to do with the vendor. Just looking for people who have purchased them to weigh in. I love my Delta Pro's. They have saved me a ton on my electric bill so far, however these things, albeit tremendously expensive appear next level.

I was looking at their kits, but it's pretty odd. I can't seem to find any of the individual products that make up the kits on the website, and the information is pretty thin.

Looks interesting but its very expensive, batteries are $3700
https://hysolis.com/product/apollo/ $5k

I tried to click link to download user manual, but link was not live.

I wanted to see if instructions called for grounding.
Not surprising that a device drives voltage when operating. Could be just EMI capacitors coupling a limited amount of mA, could be more related to neutral/ground bond.

Since Will noted voltage at case with MPPT operating but inverter off, scope trace would be interesting. Could be high frequency switcher.

Yes, it could be leakage due to capacitive coupling, Will should get a leakage tester for his lab, or make one.
Leakage test setup.png
Leakage test.png

Attachments

• Simpson_228_Manual.pdf
    331.5 KB · Views: 6
Sounds like he has a pretty effective leakage tester already, it's called his finger...

Will's video just came out hours ago with Shocking surprise!
I wonder what other YouTubers find out about
Based on Will and Ben's reviews and a product that can potentially kill via voltage leaks, Hysolis won't even sell the unit per Ben due to Will and Ben's collaboration in rigorous device analysis. I am hoping Hysolis fixs the dangerous hardware and lacking of app issues on the software side. Also to Wills credit, I hope other vendors are paying attention "cough Ecoflow" to the Apollo expandability when hardware issues are corrected to make this blow away every solar all in one generator platform at this time. Price has to come down as well.

Last edited:
Based on Will and Ben's reviews and a product that can potentially kill via voltage leaks, Hysolis won't even sell the unit per Ben due to Will and Ben's collaboration in rigorous device analysis. I am hoping Hysolis fixs the dangerous hardware and lacking of app issues on the software side. Also to Wills credit, I hope other vendors are paying attention "cough Evoflow" to the Apollo expandability when hardware issues are corrected to make this blow away every solar all in one generator platform at this time. Price has to come down as well.
I am waiting to hear the feedback from Hylolis and hope they add safety test in their test procedures, same for other companies and other reviewers as well.

I wanted to see the manual. Possibly, the shock was due to not following installation instructions. Or the instructions may lack an important step.

Many devices require grounding to prevent electrical shock. AC devices have EMI filters with capacitors between Line and Ground, also Neutral and Ground. With ground floating this will often put out 50% of line voltage, e.g. 60Vrms. Capacitor values differ between consumer, industrial, medical equipment. Leakage current is normally below the 5mA safety threshold, often below 1 mA. But some equipment warns high leakage current.

Will described getting a significant shock through his chest when he touched each unit with one hand. One was plugged in therefore grounded, other unplugged from AC, so lacking that ground wire. PV had just red/black +/-. I always want to see a ground wire from PV frames to equipment chassis, thinking of hazardous DC voltages, but there could also be AC voltages coupled - hopefully not an actual shock hazard but at least a startle hazard. Battery was connected but likely not grounded.

60 Hz shocks we're almost all familiar with. RF is different. SMPS like MPPT can be 5 kHz up to maybe 500 kHz. I expect only small amplitude AC at PV terminals (with bulk input capacitors), which could couple to frame. The large AC swing should be on an inductor internal to the device.

Most of the inverters I use are specified for hardwired installation only. Some of us use a power cord to make them portable; it is on us to ensure they are grounded before connecting PV. The Apollo seems to be a portable (or transportable) unit. Instructions and provisions for grounding are needed.

It has no listings, UL , ETL, TUV ect. Since its "portable" is why someone thinks its safe to sell ...

Play stupid game, win stupid prize

I thought maybe UL or equivalent was required for AC powered devices, but apparently not.
The Apollo Will reviewed came with an AC power cord.

Based on Will and Ben's reviews and a product that can potentially kill via voltage leaks, Hysolis won't even sell the unit per Ben due to Will and Ben's collaboration in rigorous device analysis. I am hoping Hysolis fixs the dangerous hardware and lacking of app issues on the software side. Also to Wills credit, I hope other vendors are paying attention "cough Ecoflow" to the Apollo expandability when hardware issues are corrected to make this blow away every solar all in one generator platform at this time. Price has to come down as well.
Are you saying that officially, they’ve ceased sales of the Apollo?

From what we have seen so far the leakage current appears to be way below onset of dangerous level and below UL case leakage limit. Will used Klein Tools MM400 multimeter that has 10 Mohm input impedance. 180v / 10 Mohm = 18uA current which is 500 times less than the onset of "can't let go" current of 9ma and ~4000 times less than heart fibrillation onset at 75mA for 0.5 sec. UL limit for case leakage for 2 wire AC powered portable equipment is 0.5mA which makes this observed leakage within spec.

This leakage current is likely from RFI filtering caps or magnetically coupled via MPPT inductor but I suspect RFI caps. This is normal behavior and shows that metal cases need to be earth bonded to eliminate this kind of zapping potentials on the surfaces. That or make portable equipment out of plastic like other solar generator vendors.

Are you saying that officially, they’ve ceased sales of the Apollo?
I have no inside knowlege to Hysolis Apollo sales, I am only paraphrashing what Ben from minuteman prep said in his video. My suggestion is to watch it if you haven't already. Here is a partial transcript:
but talking with Will cross about it and
4:04
working on it with high Solas as well
4:05
we're trying to get it figured out and
4:08
but the bottom line is that means it's
4:09
absolutely a no-go and none of these
4:11
units will ship out to anyone else until
4:14
these problems are fixed so if you had
4:17
it on pre-order you'll want to wait a
4:19
little bit longer now don't get me wrong
4:20
this has still been one of the best
4:23
units I've ever tested I know the
4:25
battery is is performing extremely well
4:28
getting amazing capacity output out of
4:30
it the inverter is very efficient the
4:33

From what we have seen so far the leakage current appears to be way below onset of dangerous level and below UL case leakage limit. Will used Klein Tools MM400 multimeter that has 10 Mohm input impedance. 180v / 10 Mohm = 18uA current which is 500 times less than the onset of "can't let go" current of 9ma and ~4000 times less than heart fibrillation onset at 75mA for 0.5 sec. UL limit for case leakage for 2 wire AC powered portable equipment is 0.5mA which makes this observed leakage within spec.

"180v / 10 Mohm = 18uA" would refer to the load presented by the meter when measuring voltage.
That doesn't say anything about the current it was capable of delivering.

If only 18 uA, don't think Will could have felt it.

If he used DMM on amperage scale, then could determine if it was within spec limit.

Back