diy solar

diy solar

JBD protection - charge timeout WTH?

NorthTown2022

When I showed up at camp this afternoon I was surprised to hear the BMS alarm going off.

The JBD dashboard was reporting a temp of 38.4C, and a "charge timeout" protection error. Both charging AND discharging were enabled:

1698540485434.png

I'm experimenting with an LPG heater in the powerhouse and an insulated enclosure for the cells/BMS. Seeing the BMS temp at 38.5C I Immediately assumed the BMS went into over temp. My settings were 45C and 40C.
1698540868940.png
I've got two additional sensors in the enclosure, one buried between the cells (beside BMS's external temp sensor) and a Ruuvi inside the enclosure. I own a GX device so I went in under the advanced tab. I checked the period of days I was away and YES warmer than I'd like. The max temp the battery sensor reported was 37C (only 1.4C lower than BMS) and the Ruuvi sensor reported 35.7C, still much cooler than 45C the BMS was set to trigger at. All sensors were recently calibrated together at ~25C.

1698540452389.png

@sunshine_eggo suggested bumping the trigger and release temps up by 5C to see if it would trigger a release and what do you know the annoying 2 second beeeeeeep went away!

Wonder if it was even related to temp or if this just somehow triggered a release.. I checked all other BMS parameter and cant see anything that could have triggered an alarm.

Any idea what could have caused this?

My guess is it was an alarm telling you that you were getting close to temperature protection trigger.
You are probably right.

I went through the BMS parameter settings, Overkill manual and the manual specific to my model JBD-AP20S003S. Unfortunately I found no documentation or settings regarding a over temp impending alarm.

BMS battery temp is 29.4C right now. As a test I tried lowering the charging over temp protection to trigger at 35C and release at 30C which would have been a tighter delta than yesterday when the alarm was going off.

Under parameter settings I was not able to drop the setting to less than 45C trigger and 40C release.
1698583676902.png
I went into the parameter view and surprisingly enough was able to edit the settings there:

1698584312331.png
I checked parameter settings menu and confirmed it had taken the new values but with an error. I set it back to 45C trigger and 40C release which I suspect it may have defaulted to anyway.

1698583864072.png
I'm not feeling very optimistic but will find time later and dig through BMS settings in JBD Tools.

Also for another test I will hit the BMS temp sensor with a hair blower and a small hose to see if I can simulate an impeding alarm.

Back