diy solar

diy solar

YamBMS JK-BMS-CAN with new Cut-Off Charging Logic (open-source)

As I said it's temporary. 2x16 mm2 on each polarity. Or otherwise said each charger 50A on a 16mm2 wire. Plenty.

Internal to the batteries it's hugely oversized. 50mm2. Next time I'll go with 35mm2 for 100A...

So I should I simply set charge voltage to 58V and then let it drop once approaching OVP?
I completely missed that you have double wiring, my mistake!
If your separate charger is set to 58v, when the ESP32 wants to go into float mode, the separate charger will try and maintain the max charge voltage won't it?

I'm slightly sleep deprived due to a 3 month old baby so I might have missed this, is the separate charger another inverter?

I completely missed that you have double wiring, my mistake!
If your separate charger is set to 58v, when the ESP32 wants to go into float mode, the separate charger will try and maintain the max charge voltage won't it?

I'm slightly sleep deprived due to a 3 month old baby so I might have missed this, is the separate charger another inverter?
Take care of your little "project" ❤️.

No inverter is only doing solar MPPT, charging battery (only from solar!) and off grid supply (island mode).

Charger is grid connected and only charging batteries.

Right now the charger is just working in voltage mode based on a excel table.
But long term I also will need to do it more intelligent. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I should just follow what the Esp32 says.

The other option is of course to apply full blast voltage and, once the MEASURED voltage rises above the required level (either on the charger or battery side), reduce it.

I'd just like to avoid developing a whole separate controller (like I was about to do / doing) if all I should focus on is rather just e. G. grid power control based on lowest cost (only take care of the energy "strategy" and leave all the control in the hands of the Esp32).

EDIT: and of course if my charger should just follow the Esp32, then I can just get the value from Mqtt or influxdb and change the charger voltage 😁

Last edited:
Take care of your little "project" ❤️.

No inverter is only doing solar MPPT, charging battery (only from solar!) and off grid supply (island mode).

Charger is grid connected and only charging batteries.

Right now the charger is just working in voltage mode based on a excel table.
But long term I also will need to do it more intelligent. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I should just follow what the Esp32 says.

The other option is of course to apply full blast voltage and, once the MEASURED voltage rises above the required level (either on the charger or battery side), reduce it.

I'd just like to avoid developing a whole separate controller (like I was about to do / doing) if all I should focus on is rather just e. G. grid power control based on lowest cost (only take care of the energy "strategy" and leave all the control in the hands of the Esp32).

EDIT: and of course if my charger should just follow the Esp32, then I can just get the value from Mqtt or influxdb and change the charger voltage 😁
Perhaps the best option is to force the grid charger to follow the requested voltage, you can definitely use MQTT to get these (or HA if you use that).
If needed, just apply an offset so that the grid charger is set to 'requested charge + 1.0v' or so. If you also have the ability to adjust charger current, you could also follow requested charge current.

If the PV inverter is also connected via CANbus, you'll have automatic control on both power sources and a pretty impressive setup.

Perhaps the best option is to force the grid charger to follow the requested voltage, you can definitely use MQTT to get these (or HA if you use that).
If needed, just apply an offset so that the grid charger is set to 'requested charge + 1.0v' or so. If you also have the ability to adjust charger current, you could also follow requested charge current.

If the PV inverter is also connected via CANbus, you'll have automatic control on both power sources and a pretty impressive setup.
Yeah, that was my plan (although using @Der_Hannes setup since I have multiple batteries) :).

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced a situation where the batteries charging keeps tripping to 0 kw for a few seconds and then back to say 700/ 900/kw?

this happens when I set higher current charging above 20 amp on my inverter...if i set it to say 15 amp it charges steady at below 500kw.

I have checked and repaired all my connections more hot cables etc.

been playing with the settings no joy yet.

I used to charge steady at 800kw per battery - now i can only do just below 500 per battery.

regards

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced a situation where the batteries charging keeps tripping to 0 kw for a few seconds and then back to say 700/ 900/kw?

this happens when I set higher current charging above 20 amp on my inverter...if i set it to say 15 amp it charges steady at below 500kw.

I have checked and repaired all my connections more hot cables etc.

been playing with the settings no joy yet.

I used to charge steady at 800kw per battery - now i can only do just below 500 per battery.

regards
800kW or 500kW:oops::oops::oops: ????? That's roughly 50'000 A or 10'000 A !!!!! Yes fifty/ten THOUSAND Amperes !!!

I think you'd have a problem with your Inverter or your very small battery first .... Let alone your Grid Connection or PV array ...

Last edited:
@chaosnature Aside from your watt / kilowatt issue (please be more precise - we are all trying to help you but you make it very difficult... We basically need to reverse engineer all the words in your posts), one possible explanation might be that your charging current was higher than the bms limit
And the bms tripped itself. Or that the voltage went up too quickly in one of your cells.

Impossible to tell without knowing at which voltage / soc you were at.

But if you are giving control to the bms using @Sleeper85 / @MrPablo code, the bms should be in charge of controlling the limits. Do you have a separate setting on your inverter where you can further limit charge or discharge current?

So is this new issue with the bms in charge? Or are you just letting the inverter control the voltage?

Agreed, it's possible you're hitting OVPR on one of your cells, resulting in the ESP32 setting charge current to zero.
Of course, without data we're a bit blind here.
There is a sensor called 'Errors' - please provide a 24 hour view of this particular sensor and we can probably advise.

800kW or 500kW:oops::oops::oops: ????? That's roughly 50'000 A or 10'000 A !!!!! Yes fifty/ten THOUSAND Amperes !!!

I think you'd have a problem with your Inverter or your very small battery first .... Let alone your Grid Connection or PV array ...
Watt watt lol

u know @

silverstone

you are over dramatic sometimes - you know there is no way the stated value would be in kw that its a typo.....just correct me in my typo and we move on with it.

Agreed, it's possible you're hitting OVPR on one of your cells, resulting in the ESP32 setting charge current to zero.
Of course, without data we're a bit blind here.
There is a sensor called 'Errors' - please provide a 24 hour view of this particular sensor and we can probably advise.
1710333375347.png

1710333428980.png

i have just initiated charging now at 30A set at the inverter - and its charging o.k | what it usually does is after a few minutes it starts to exibit the above described behaviour

1710333838869.png

1710333781259.png

i will report back when it starts
if it doesn't i will increase it to 40A and i am sure it will replicate the issue

Watt watt lol

u know @

silverstone

you are over dramatic sometimes - you know there is no way the stated value would be in kw that its a typo.....just correct me in my typo and we move on with it.
I don't know much about you anymore besides you seem to have quite a few traits of ADHD given the number of inaccurate informations, messy way of working / lack of methodology and posts all over the place 🤣

@chaosnature Aside from your watt / kilowatt issue (please be more precise - we are all trying to help you but you make it very difficult... We basically need to reverse engineer all the words in your posts), one possible explanation might be that your charging current was higher than the bms limit
And the bms tripped itself. Or that the voltage went up too quickly in one of your cells.

Impossible to tell without knowing at which voltage / soc you were at.

But if you are giving control to the bms using @Sleeper85 / @MrPablo code, the bms should be in charge of controlling the limits. Do you have a separate setting on your inverter where you can further limit charge or discharge current?

So is this new issue with the bms in charge? Or are you just letting the inverter control the voltage?
I have checked and the charging current is not higher - the continuous charging current is set at 25 and maximum 30 A

But if you are giving control to the bms using @Sleeper85 / @MrPablo code, the bms should be in charge of controlling

I don't understand what you are on about here - its just the normal setup where the control is to the ESP - what i know as long as the ESP32 has established connection to the JKBMS it is then controlled by the ESP via the yaml script - if there is more to this you are welcome to correct me...

I don't know much about you anymore besides you seem to have quite a few traits of ADHD given the number of inaccurate informations, messy way of working / lack of methodology and posts all over the place 🤣
Now you want to diagnose me with ADHD - becareful you are venturing into a domain you might not want to go into. i am a metaphysician, once i start i dont stop.

this you culture of having inaccurate tagging to human behaviour is greatly flured as i have proven in many of my studies - do you even know what according to the mainstream ADHD is supposed to mean?
have you seen the collections of behaviors that has been tag to one single (ADHD acrynomes)

Now you want to diagnose me with ADHD - becareful you are venturing into a domain you might not want to go into. i am a metaphysician, once i start i dont stop.

this you culture of having inaccurate tagging to human behaviour is greatly flured as i have proven in many of my studies - do you even know what according to the mainstream ADHD is supposed to mean?
have you seen the collections of behaviors that has been tag to one single (ADHD acrynomes)
Most individuals diagnosed with ADHD are exhibiting traits of genius

you don't even know me but you can already make a conclusion based on working with you on a solar project. this is but one of many activities i am involed in silverstone...

I'm just saying that the way you act and react seems to be a trait of it. But then again, there are also a lot of other conditions that could explain that. I could also tell you about how the "health" "care" system works... Let's not make the moderators angry though 🙏.

There IS so much variations in the world and sometimes even In a single person 🤣.

I'm just saying that the way you act and react seems to be a trait of it. But then again, there are also a lot of other conditions that could explain that. I could also tell you about how the "health" "care" system works... Let's not make the moderators angry though 🙏.

There IS so much variations in the world and sometimes even In a single person 🤣.
SO its now you want to consider moderators?

did you think i was just gonna let your poor judgemental statement pass like that without attention??

did you think i was just gonna let your poor judgemental statement pass like that without attention??
I'm getting tired trying to help and you throwing inaccurate and erroneous information at me and the other of us, then blaming me for criticizing you 😵‍💫

1710334933878.png
Let's pick on Acting without thinking as an example - that is actually how we were originally designed to operate as a species until the society became highly dysfunctional....so technically it is us claiming to be normal that are dysfunctional not the diagnosed.
i told you don't go there with me.

I'm getting tired trying to help and you throwing inaccurate and erroneous information at me and the other of us, then blaming me for criticizing you 😵‍💫
then step back instead of making poor judgments on ppl characteristics - live goes on if you dont help or if no one else helps for that matter.

diy solar

diy solar
Back