diy solar

diy solar

Join pv wire temporarily

Newfiejeff

My existing RV has a solar panel(190 watt) along with a Go power charge controller, it came with the rv, not choice.
I am going on a 6 month trip across Canada and the US starting the first of May. I may while on my trip trade my camper and may not. So I have a 150/70 Victron just purchased for my cabin so I was going to use that instead of the Go power while on my trip. The new controller won’t fit in the location that the Go power is so how can I join PV wire only to move location temporarily as I will be removing the controller after the trip or if I decides to trade it. Swapping out the wire from the panel to the new location is inside a wall which is not easily to get at and not worth the effort for a very short time,
How can I join the PV wire, basically make a extension cable that if I trade the camper on the spur of the moment I can set up the old controller easily and quickly?

I should clarify.
I'm not a fan of using them, myself.
But, I do like it when others use them.
Service calls are a good portion of my income.
What kind of wago issues have been giving you business? ? They have been great for me for the right application - like outlet gang boxes. Just have to manage the job right so you don’t have issues like when you’re trying to tuck the wires into the back and put in your outlet that you don’t accidentally push open one of the levers. I know some people wrap the outside of the wago with electrical tape just to avoid that possibility.

What kind of wago issues have been giving you business? ? They have been great for me for the right application - like outlet gang boxes. Just have to manage the job right so you don’t have issues like when you’re trying to tuck the wires into the back and put in your outlet that you don’t accidentally push open one of the levers. I know some people wrap the outside of the wago with electrical tape just to avoid that possibility.
Yup
That's a big one.
But sometimes, they just melt. They don't always provide a reliable connection.
I just replace them with a wire nut and collect the money.
In 40 years, I have never had a wire nut failure.
I stick with what has always worked.

Another option:

Much more costly than a wire nut. However, well insulated and can be used over and over. Also, generic knockoffs at cheaper prices. Places like HD have them and electrical supply houses everywhere. The "real" ones are UL listed, the knockoffs not listed.

I use these for my permanent splices.

Another option:

Much more costly than a wire nut. However, well insulated and can be used over and over. Also, generic knockoffs at cheaper prices. Places like HD have them and electrical supply houses everywhere. The "real" ones are UL listed, the knockoffs not listed.

I use these for my permanent splices.
Yep - those are great especially for heavy gauges. Just need to keep trying to move the wire and tightening the screw until the strands stop shifting to avoid them becoming loose over time.

Back