diy solar

diy solar

I made a rookie mistake, connected two 110v sources at the same time, any ideas?

heavenorbust

Hey all, I'm brand new here, I hope you folks might have any ideas of what I may have fried.

I have a 2013 Fleetwood Storm, recently installed two separate solar panel arrays on the roof. I have a 4x100watt and a 3x240watt, both going to separate 40a solar charge controllers and charging a 500ah lithium battery bank powering a 3000w pure sine wave inverter.

I am quite new to 110, and in my ignorance I connected the inverter directly to the main breaker to power the 110 electrical system on the RV. This worked great until I turned on the inverter while the shore power was plugged in. This caused the Shore source breaker (my house) circuit breaker to trip and the short circuit alarm on the inverter to go off.

I unplugged everything, checked the RV breakers, none had tripped, and waited a few minutes. Now my whole 110 system is down. If I turn on the inverter, I get a short circuit alarm. If I plug into shore power, the breaker at the source trips immediately. Basically, I'm pretty sure I now have a dead short somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas of where to start on this?

Also, I'm not sure if this could be related, but I just got the generator going for the first time this evening, about an hour prior to all this, and was unable to get the generator to activate the 110 system. That's probably a separate issue alltogether, but I thought it best to try to provide as much context as possible.

Completely disconnect the inverter from AC and DC systems. Try shore. I suspect you fried the inverter, and it's shorted the AC panel.

Generators often have integral breakers on them. Confirm they are on. If you have an automatic transfer switch, it may be failing to switch over. In some primitive setups, you actually plug the power cord into the generator socket.

Completely disconnect the inverter from AC and DC systems. Try shore. I suspect you fried the inverter, and it's shorted the AC panel.
Yep, sure did. Thank you for the quick reply and direction. Expensive little mistake but a valuable lesson.

I haven't looked in to the generator yet, but I'll let you know what I find.

Did removing the inverter from the wiring restore your ability to draw shore power?
Yes it did. And you were also correct about the generator receptacle that the shore power cable needs to plug into. I hooked that up as well and tested the system by turning the AC on, all good. Thank you again for the help!

Back