diy solar

diy solar

Connecting 220 & 110 load to EG4 6000XP

romanvm

Hey all,

Question 1: I am trying to figure out how to best connect 14-50R 220 and standard 110 GFCI receptacles as load on 6000XP.

I am doing semi portable setup where I don’t really have enough room for a typical “temporary power outlet” or junction type box with another set of breakers, load distribution, PE/Neutral buss bars and etc.

Only option I see is connecting both receptacles directly to inverter connections, this would mean that I will need to run 2 hot wires from load L1 on load breaker connection to 220 and 110 receptacles…

Or should I use separate bus bar (isolated from the inverter inclosure) for the two L1 connections?

Question 2: Inverter will be installed in a metal cabinet that is also housing number of 48v server rack lifepo4 batteries (grounded to each other). Cabinet will be on wheels. Obviously inverter will be grounded via AC grid input however since cabinet is mobile, do I need to ground it somehow in conjunction with 6000XP?

I’m a newbie so bear with me if this question might sound ridiculous 😉😬

Thank you! 🙏🏽

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 14
You will need OCP (over current protection) for each connection. Sized appropriately for the conductors you use. Unless you plan to use #8 AWG for everything. Then, the internal 50a breaker will suffice.

But, you won't be able to find a standard 120v outlet that is rated for 50a. Or will accept #8.

You will need OCP (over current protection) for each connection. Sized appropriately for the conductors you use. Unless you plan to use #8 AWG for everything. Then, the internal 50a breaker will suffice.

But, you won't be able to find a standard 120v outlet that is rated for 50a. Or will accept #8.
That’s what I thought. What if I add 20amp breaker for my standard 110 receptacle and continue relying on inverter 50 amp breaker for my 14-50r receptacle, seems like that should cover me over all, thoughts?

Any thoughts on my second question in regards to grounding inverter/cabinet?

That’s what I thought. What if I add 20amp breaker for my standard 110 receptacle and continue relying on inverter 50 amp breaker for my 14-50r receptacle, seems like that should cover me over all, thoughts?

Any thoughts on my second question in regards to grounding inverter/cabinet?
That works.

Have you thought about just taking the output to a standard breaker panel and just drawing your 120v circuits from there?
I did and that would have been pretty straight forward, however in our case it will be a semi portable setup that will have to be moved time to time and idea is to have everything we need contained in the metal cabinet.

So a small 4-8 slot breaker panel wouldn't fit? You can get tandem breakers that give you 2 circuits per breaker slot, so a 4-slot panel can give you 2x 240v out and still have enough space for 6x 120v circuits.

Last edited:
So a small 4-8 slot breaker panel wouldn't fit? You can get tandem breakers that give you 2 circuits per breaker slot, so a 4-slot panel can give you 2x 240v out and still have enough space for 6x 120v circuits.
Interesting, I will certainly look into this.

Interesting, I will certainly look into this.
A couple examples of a 240v tandem breaker taking 2 spots for 2 circuts and a 120v tandem breaker giving you a pair of 120v circuits.

The nice thing about those tandem 240v breakers is that the outer pair can be seperated so your 4 slots can be 120v on L1, 240v on L2 & L1, then 120v on L2 keeping your loads pretty well balanced.

Back