diy solar

diy solar

AC Output connections from 6000xp to sub panel

D. Abineri

My previous split phase inverter accepted 240v and a ground from my main house panel (new construction) and the output was 240v (on black and white wires) and ground. I had the black and white output powering my sub panel along with the ground so that a double pole breaker gave me 240v and a single pole gave me 120v. I am trying to replicate this with the 6000xp.

The manual for the 6000xp shows black and red as the 240v input to L1 and L2 along with ground and neutral on the corresponding bus bars. Now, the output from the 6000xp shows black and red (at,I presume, 240v). Do I power by sub panel with these red and black wires? Where do I connect the neutral and the ground from the inverter in the sub panel?

My main house panel apparently does not seem to have neutral grounded (bonded) because I can measure 120v between ground and black, and ground and white.

So, how do I connect up my sub panel so that it works as it did with my previous inverter, giving me both a 240v line and some 120v lines?

When Will tested his 120 output from the 6000xp, he did not show where the connections on the inverter were made.

Thanks

The subpanel needs to be set up as 120/240V split phase with 4 bus bars. The 2 main bus bars with tabs where the breakers clip on to make contact are for Black L1 and Red L2, (240V). If the panel has a main breaker Black and Red land there. Then there should be 2 separate screw type bus bars, 1 for the neutral wires (white) and 1 for the ground wires. Neutral bus should be insulated from the subpanel enclosure and the ground bus should be attached to the enclosure.

The above will provide 120V with a single pole breaker and 240V with a 2 pole breaker.

N-G bond should be in the main panel.

NOTE: It depends on the age of the subpanel. Seems like the industry has adopted a new design where the Hot wire does not attach directly to the breaker with a screw clamp. Rather both the Hot and Neutral wires are attached side by side to a screw type bus bar. Gold screws are Hot, silver screws are neutral. This is actually a big improvement as the entire panel can be wired 100% then the breakers clipped in last.

BentlyJ, you are a lifesaver for my system!

Does it matter which way around the black and red are connected?

Thanks for passing this along. Do you have a 6000xp yourself?

Dave

Does it matter which way around the black and red are connected?
No, but the convention is Black L1 is on the left bus and Red L2 is on the right bus standing in front of the panel when its being wired. Its best to follow a standard method so later on its easier to trace things out when troubleshooting a problem.
Thanks for passing this along. Do you have a 6000xp yourself?
No but all split phase inverters are basically the same with regard to this wiring nomenclature.

My main house panel apparently does not seem to have neutral grounded (bonded) because I can measure 120v between ground and black, and ground and white.
Were you testing this at the main panel?
Or on your old 240v circuit that fed your previous inverter?
If at the old 240v circuit. The white isn't a neutral. It was being used for L2. Because a neutral wasn't needed for your previous inverter.

No, but the convention is Black L1 is on the left bus and Red L2 is on the right bus standing in front of the panel when its being wired. Its best to follow a standard method so later on its easier to trace things out when troubleshooting a problem.

No but all split phase inverters are basically the same with regard to this wiring nomenclature.
I am looking at my main panel interior and cannot see any connection between neutral and ground. This is recent construction, 2 years ago or so. What should I be looking for in the main panel?
Were you testing this at the main panel?
Or on your old 240v circuit that fed your previous inverter?
If at the old 240v circuit. The white isn't a neutral. It was being used for L2. Because a neutral wasn't needed for your previous inverter.
I measured this at the input to the inverter where L1 and L2 were black and white.
What if my main panel does NOT have a N-G bond and I suddenly introduce one? Will that affect any of the existing circuits in the house?

I am looking at my main panel interior and cannot see any connection between neutral and ground. This is recent construction, 2 years ago or so. What should I be looking for in the main panel?

I measured this at the input to the inverter where L1 and L2 were black and white.
What if my main panel does NOT have a N-G bond and I suddenly introduce one? Will that affect any of the existing circuits in the house?
Easy enough to confirm with a multimeter - just check for continuity between the neutral and ground bus bars…

Black is L1 and white is L2, on that cable.
What if my main panel does NOT have a N-G bond
You have already confirmed that it does.
You measured 120v from each line to ground.
and I suddenly introduce one?
Don't
There can be only one N/G bond.
Will that affect any of the existing circuits in the house?
It definitely can.

So, I measure 120 v between ground and Black , and between ground and white. How does that say that I have N-G bond? 240v between black and white.

Back