diy solar

diy solar

AC Output connections from 6000xp to sub panel

Yes, that is my conclusion too. Red, Black, Neutral and ground. Do you agree with the connections to my sub panel given above, which was my orginal question.
Output is the same as the input for the 6kxp.
The only difference is that in a sub panel the neutral and ground are kept separate.

Right. Now my sub panel has only one bus bar besides the main two thaat go to the breakers. Is it possible to add a bus bar to a panel?
Yes
You can buy a ground bar for your panel at most big hardware stores.
Make sure that you don't bond the neutral in this panel.

Th

The bare copper comes from the ground bus bar in the main panel where all the grounds for the house circuits meet.
On a main panel this is true.
Neutrals and grounds all connect in the same place.

The inverter CANNOT do this.

The inverter must have a seperate neutral and ground sources.

Only the main panel can connect neutral and ground.

Sub panels and auxiliary power sources require seperated N/G

UNLESS there is a transfer switch interrupting the main power source, then THAT transfer switch can be the only N/G bond.

On a main panel this is true.
Neutrals and grounds all connect in the same place.

The inverter CANNOT do this.

The inverter must have a seperate neutral and ground sources.

Only the main panel can connect neutral and ground.

Sub panels and auxiliary power sources require seperated N/G

UNLESS there is a transfer switch interrupting the main power source, then THAT transfer switch can be the only N/G bond.
Thank you for this. It is just that in my main panel the grounds are all connected to one bus bar and the neutrals are all connected to another and I cannot see the bond between them. I will check for continuity tomorrow. Thanks again, very helpful.

Thank you for this. It is just that in my main panel the grounds are all connected to one bus bar and the neutrals are all connected to another and I cannot see the bond between them. I will check for continuity tomorrow. Thanks again, very helpful.
A picture would let us determine the bond.

Pictures of the main panel. Are ground bus bars connected to the case? Where is the N-G bond? Thanks
I can't see all of the neutral bar. But there's usually a green screw inserted through the neutral bar into the enclosure.

Sometimes it is a small round bar with a hole.
It could be hiding under the two GFCI breakers.

Somewhere, there's a connection between the neutral bar and either the enclosure or ground bar.
It could even have been done with a wire.

That's a Homeline PON panel. If that panel isn't bonded where is the disconnect for the house? Is there a breaker out on the meter?Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I can't see all of the neutral bar. But there's usually a green screw inserted through the neutral bar into the enclosure.
Turned of the mani power and checked for continuity between the ground bus and the neutral bus and they are connected. Also checked behind those large breakers and it's not there either. But they are bonded somehow!

Maybe the screw was missing when the electrician installed the panel. And just used a wire to bond.
Look for a wire between the two bars.
Could be bare, green, or white.

Back