diy solar

diy solar

AC output wiring.

jake94

Hello, I have a question regarding AC output wiring on all in one inverters that supply 240v. My rv takes a 50amp 240v connection for shore power if I'm not mistaken there are 4 wires inside ground, neutral, and a black and red hot. But on the output and input of some of these all in one inverters that say 240v I only see connections for a ground a neutral and 1 hot wire why is this? And how do you get 240v out of only 3 connections.

But on the output and input of some of these all in one inverters that say 240v I only see connections for a ground a neutral and 1 hot wire why is this?
Those are European models.
230v (or 240v) single phase.
You need 120v/240v split-phase, for North America.

Cheap low freq inverters only provide L1, L2 inputs with no input neutral connection.

Because of the output transformer 240/120vac arrangement with center tapped neutral, if AC input neutral is connected and there is imbalance in AC input L1-N-L2 voltage, there can be excessive transformer current attempting to balance grid L1-N-L2 voltage.

These inverters should not be grid connected. They can be fed from a 240vac generator.

LF inverters like Outback, Victron, and Xantrex have monitoring of neutral current so if AC input L1-N-L2 has too much imbalance they will release from grid.

Be aware that inverters (AIO) for other countries can be listed at 220-240vAC with only one hot leg and neutral leg as input and output. This is because they are not US standard split phase but Euro standard single phase.

Thanks for the replies, that makes alot of sense because the victorn model I looked at had 4 input and out put connections.

Back