diy solar

diy solar

Accidental discovery - getting more load capacity on the 6000XP

AZ Solar Junkie

Maricopa, AZ
I know a lot of systems - for example the 18kPV, Sol-Ark 15k, etc. - have in their specs a higher inverter output rating when also getting power from solar vs. from batteries only. The 6000XP does not, so I presumed 6000 watts / 3000 watts on either leg was the limit before it would switch to bypass mode. I happened to run our electric clothes dryer in the middle of the day today and discovered that indeed, the single 6000XP is handling it along with all the other loads I have on the system without switching to grid bypass. Ran at roughly 110% of the capacity on both legs for the duration of the dryer cycle - about 6,600 watts total without ever switching to bypass and no issues at all with the loads. In all fairness the demand was cycling up to that level for several minutes and then back down again for a few minutes as the heating element kicked on and off during the cycle, so it wasn't like a full hour of 6,600 watts continually, but still I'm happy. I'll have to test it again during the solar day with even more loads and see if I can find the limit - maybe 8,000 watts? Who knows? ;). In any case, this means I have the option even with my single 6000XP of using the dryer during the day as a dump load, which is good because my batteries have been getting full by 1pm or so and leaving too much of the available afternoon solar on the table. :)

@EG4_Jared - seems like this capability probably should have been quantified and made it into the specs in the manual, or no?

May not be related to a PV AC output boost feature. Like the other models referenced.

All inverters have some sort of overload capability. Victrons can run 30 minutes at something like 130% rated provided they don't overheat (high ambient) and DC voltage doesn't sag.

Datasheet: SURGE CAPACITY 12,000W for ≈3.5 seconds | 11,000W for ≈5 seconds

You were likely averaging barely over 6000W, and it stayed within operational limits.

Agreed
This should not be abnormal for a decent quality unit.
I run my Growatt's at a continuous 110% during testing without issues. And short surges of higher.

May not be related to a PV AC output boost feature. Like the other models referenced.

All inverters have some sort of overload capability. Victrons can run 30 minutes at something like 130% rated provided they don't overheat (high ambient) and DC voltage doesn't sag.

Datasheet: SURGE CAPACITY 12,000W for ≈3.5 seconds | 11,000W for ≈5 seconds

You were likely averaging barely over 6000W, and it stayed within operational limits.
In any case without PV coming in, any amount even slightly over 3000 watts the 6000xp switched to grid bypass within just a couple of seconds, but with PV power coming in it was running at 110% on both legs with 6600 watts total for at last five minutes at a time between the dryer heating element cycles. I’m not sure how much more it will handle or for how long, but I’m curious to try and discover what the limits are.

Back