diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP arrived! Choices to load it?

Solar Scott

New to solar, I just received my 6000XP, one EG4 -LL-S 100 amp battery, and already install (10) 400 watt panels on my south facing rooftop. My goal is to have water well (240volt) and fridge & freezer during a power outage. I would like to capitalize on the investment lowering my electric bill. Well spikes to 21 amps for a couple seconds and settles to 5.8 amps on each leg. Each fridge/freezer used .9 to 1.2 KWh in 24 hrs. (Kill-o-watt meter)
What is a good strategy to utilize solar power and meet my goals? Should I run the deep well pump kicking on and off all day? Or look for a more consistent load and wait for an outage to solar power the well.
I’m not sure if my (4) fridge freezers will deplete the battery yet. Very excited to complete the install this weekend.
Thank you for any advice.

Depending on where you live the panels will only run those loads about 3-5 hours a day. That leaves around 20 hours of battery dependency. One 5kwh EG4 will not cut it.
At night when most people sleep loads are low so that helps but when you open the fridge or run water you get that big drain on the battery.
You will need to add more batteries as you can afford to.
Best to do battery load test during the day by turning off the pv input when weather is good, before the need arrives, to see how long your battery will run the loads. Dry runs build knowledge. Good luck !

The best advice anyone can give you is to buy more batteries. One of the 100ah batteries won't last very long with the loads you've specified. Bare minimum would be 4 of the EG4 batteries, preferably 6.

I purchased a 2nd battery, merry Christmas to me. I plan to purchase one more in February, after the 3 slot rack is available.

Back