diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP - 3 phase?

aarongough

Hey folks!
I have been planning a solar install for a while as a way to get 3 phase power in my small industrial workshop. I have a bunch of CNC machines and other equipment that require 3 phase, and generating it with 3 inverters seems like a much better solution than getting 3 phase installed at the pole or using a phase converter... We live in the middle of nowhere and power outages are common, so having a system with some batter backup would be amazing.

I have been planning this for a while which brings me to my conundrum... I had previously designed a system using 3x EG4 6500EXs which would give me ~18KW of 208V 3 phase, and was happy with this decision. When I went to finally pull the trigger on the purchase today I found out the 6500EX is discontinued ?

The current choice for an equivalent inverter looks to be the EG4 6000XP, BUT I can't get a clear answer on whether it currently supports generating 3 phase with 3 inverters or not.

I contacted "Current Connected" for technical support and they said it does, but that they don't ship to Canada.
When I contacted "Signature Solar" with the same question they said the 6000XP does not currently support 3 phase configurations, and that the feature will be released in a future firmware update.

Anyone have further info or practical experience with running 3x 6000XPs in a 3 phase configuration? The current version of the manual mentions it very briefly (Page 50: "Parallel Setting") but does not show any wiring diagrams or anything. I'm going to reach out directly to EG4 as well and will report back with what they say.

All input appreciated, thanks in advance!
-Aaron

@Markus_EG4 thank you for the info!

A couple of follow up questions:
- Any idea when the firmware supporting 3 phase should arrive?
- Will it be 240v 3 phase? Or 208V like the old 6500EX?
- Any hints as to how the L1 and L2 from each inverter should be connected to the load center when setup in a 3 phase config?

Thanks!

@Markus_EG4 thank you for the info!

A couple of follow up questions:
- Any idea when the firmware supporting 3 phase should arrive?
- Will it be 240v 3 phase? Or 208V like the old 6500EX?
- Any hints as to how the L1 and L2 from each inverter should be connected to the load center when setup in a 3 phase config?

Thanks!
Firmware could be ready in 6 weeks or so.

3 Phase 208v

With 3 inverters L1, L2 - L3, L1 - L2, L3

Will it support single-phase input, 3-phase output?

That is what I do with 3x Sunny Island, although there is the issue that master passes through grid voltage (typically 125V), while slave 1 and slave 2 each produce 120V. Not ideal for loads. I guess I could either alter nominal voltage setting or use buck/boost on input.

Of course Chargeverter would be another solution for OP to take in single-phase grid.

Starting motors on 60 Hz 3-phase, inverters will have to supply the surge.
VFD are a nice way to ramp up motor speed gradually. And could be convenient for finer adjustment of speed than belts/gears provide (unless CVT)

230v/ 400v ?

Are they actually selling them?
And how are they getting around Sol-Ark's agreement?

If internal architecture is the same as typical AIO then no. Inverter has to sync to grid input or you get no grid support. Gotta use a chargeverter.

If three single-phase inverters, with cables between them, master can sync to single-phase grid while slaves never synchronize. That's how I use mine.

I've tried to use transformers to create vectors off the various phases, and sync either 120/208Y or 120/240V high leg delta to 120/240V single phase. I got one to sync for a short while, but it had high current apparently fighting. So back to just one 120V phase as input.

Back