diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP - 3 phase?

If three single-phase inverters, with cables between them, master can sync to single-phase grid while slaves never synchronize
Then you cannot get a grid bypass or grid assist on those 2 phase shifted inverters since they physically cannot rectify incoming AC into DC bus at the same time as generating AC out.

Correct. Limited to wattage of the individual inverters. But my 15kW 3-phase system can pull in 5kW from the grid, or export 5kW to it.

It's sad that the 6500 was pushed aside. Especially after I just bought them. I guess you can't stop progress.

Not sure how I proceed if I have serious problems. Switch to the 6000 or the 18kpv? I hope my dual units work for several years.

Thank you all for your information on this thread! I was about to ask some similar questions but searched first and was glad to see others with similar plans.

I'm currently building an EG4 6000XP system for my small house and have that situation well in hand, with the plan for my entire property to go off grid when I can afford enough batteries. The challenge for me is that I have a 9600 square foot steel building (lots of great roof space for solar panels!) and a full machine shop which needs 3 phase. Based on Will's videos and my DIY research, I was expecting to maybe go with the Hysolis AIO units (3 of them) and additional batteries for the workshop system. Is there any update on the EG4 3 phase sync firmware? I'd rather keep with identical AIOs on the whole property than have to go with two totally different vendors if possible.

I'm not sure how I missed this but I am on the other side of the deadline. I have 4x 6500ex refurbs that I got a week before they were discontinued.

Through November and December I was working on phase 1 of the project. I have 20 kW of panels on the roof of my 40x50 barn with a 30kWh rack of batteries and a SolArk 15k. A 100 amp line from the house to the SolArk, feeding a breaker panel in the shop feeding a 100 amp line to a separate critical loads panel back in the house. My plan is to wire the 6500ex to the batteries with voltage control. Currently I have the 42 panels broken into 6 strings of 7 panels but it's not optimal with parallel strings going into the 3 MPPT that seem to be fighting due to optimizers. So I'll probably be breaking the strings up some (and adding more panels) into the 6500's. First I have to get through inspection with the 220 split phase set up.

My son has a couple of plastic injection molding machines he's rehabbing that we need the 3 phase for. Fortunately we can run them off 220v 3 phase (using max voltage setting of 127) and 1 machine already has a VFD in it.

Any chance a 6000 can be connected to the 6500's for 3 phase? If the 4 I already have aren't enough...

I was figuring so but one can hope. OTOH internal hardware shouldn't matter, I mean it's capable of syncing with the grid. It should just be a matter of comms.

Although a sync cable could be model and even brand agnostic.

Updates and control/status, there would be much more to that.

I'd like to be able to connect 4x 120V inverters for a 3-phase system. That could support split-phase 120/240V and 3-phase 120/208Y.
Big advantage is twice as much power could be brought in from a split-phase grid, and delivered as 3-phase.

Oh, I guess "ChargeVerter" takes care of that. But the 3 inverters need the ability to create 3-phase L2 & L3 from the L1 of grid.
Here's a tip if you make that feature available: Adjust voltage of L2 and L3 to match L1. With my Sunny Island, 125V L1 is passed through, but L2 and L3 are rock sold 120V; that isn't ideal.

Back