diy solar

diy solar

Just had the world's greatest assassin visit me

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
owl.jpg

Saw a big shadow of a bird fly right by us a few minutes ago and looked out a side window and saw him in a deadwood tree next to our cabin. I made a call and to my utter surprise he flew over and down from the side of the cabin and landed on our deck right in front of us. Maybe ten feet away. Motion sensor lit him up which made for a nice shot. He sat there for a few minutes just looking at us.

side.jpg

We are sitting on the couch and have 16 feet of sliding glass windows on the front of our cabin. Took the top photo from the couch. I've even got video of him talking to me. I gave out a "hoo hoo, hoo hoooo" and he answered me with his own. Apparently that's a mating call so I imagine he was pretty disappointed when he saw me. Kind of like a dating app. I opened up the glass to the deck and he flew to a nearby tree. Put some beef out for him and he watched me from the tree for a long while, but never did come down and take it.

The squirrels are no doubt not happy about my new friend, but I love owls. They are the world's foremost hunter. Microscopic feather endings that make them fly silently like no other bird. Amazing eye sight and hearing. They are nature's greatest predator.

Too bad they don't do electrical work though...

sq.jpeg

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231015_124639_Gallery.jpg

His friends said that he thought he was playing with "people in bear suits".
The reason he wasnt attacked the previous years was they were good years for the bears food sources and he left well before they prepared for hibernation. The bear that killed him was 28, and desperate for food.

View attachment 172422

His friends said that he thought he was playing with "people in bear suits".
The reason he wasnt attacked the previous years was they were good years for the bears food sources and he left well before they prepared for hibernation. The bear that killed him was 28, and desperate for food.
news cant trust any sources.

Now lets see the footage of you making friends with a Kodiak... One of Timothy Treadwell's buddies.

Not a chance! I think Treadwell was eaten by regular Brown Bears, not even the larger ones on Kodiak. Sad that he brought his girlfriend with him for that one. He had a death wish I think ("I'll die for these bears") but involving her was a poor choice. We rarely see them but the timing of your post is interesting because we're in "brown bear week" on our homestead. October of 2020 we took a weekend to go the city. When we got back, brownies had destroyed our yurt. A small mom and her large cubs. Multiple large holes in the side of the yurt, everything inside destroyed. Outside plastic shed destroyed, place looks like a tornado hit.

bear yurt.jpg

The next year they came back within a day of their previous visit (our place is just a stop on their way to their hibernation area). We were ready for them this time so they didn't get any payday and the following year they didn't show up.

bear.png

We're waiting here now to see if they return in a couple days or not. I have no illusions of messing with these monsters. I did spray three little black bears point blank in the face this year that showed up on our cabin deck (the cabin we built after our yurt was destroyed). The wife videoed me off to the left of the image below spraying one directly in the face and he scrambled though the fence wires and down the ten foot high deck. Then came back 30 minutes later and I gave him a warning shot and now we see him on the cameras on the property but not on the deck. Which is good because I got a bear tag and a chest cooler of ice in case he came back. As a rule we don't hunt animals on our property. Stellars jays, gray jays, nuthatches all land on our hands and eat regularly and join the squirrels in the cabin on the couch for snacks. We even have grouse that show up on the deck to join the birds and we don't even harvest them. But black bears have done so much damage to anything left outside that, despite our cabin being designed with bears in mind and the chance of one getting inside being very low, if they keep this up, we'll make an exception and start stacking the freezer.

bb.jpg

But you won't catch me purposefully getting close to one of these brown bears and bear spray doesn't even factor in my decision tree with them. I have no desire to see one outside of a zoo.

But this guy can show up anytime he wants...

owl.jpeg

Last edited:
funny this popped up again at this time. yesterday 5 people got mauled by a black bear in the Aomori region. all injured no deaths. two 70/old grandmas, a 60 ish grandfather a 45 y/o that chased the bear off and on middle schooler got scratched, by claws. the local authorities tracked it down and trapped and relocated it out into the real boonies.

Hell these Japanese black bears tend toward the smaller size and are actually cute in appearance does not stop them from being a bear though. now on the northern island of hokaido they have honest to goodness grizzlies just like Canada and the US... not something I would want to mess with.

Back