diy solar

diy solar

just starting a solar install on a new camping trailer.

driesterer

I am looking for suggestions on integrating the existing camper wiring (12VDC with 120VAC shore power) I have 2 - 6 volt lead acid batteries and a
GIANDEL 2200W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter. 2 - 100 amp solar panels. Can I parallel the batteries to the inverter and the camper battery charger? I am missing something.
Thanks

What is the system voltage of the camper?
Was the exisiting system factory installed by the camper manufacturer?

Camper has 120 Volt AC shore Power with a 12 volt battery charger. when plugged in it charges the battery and I am able to use the A/C, Microwave and TV. Everything else is on the 12 Volt DC side. When not plugged into shore power, I only have the battery to power lights and the water pump and radio.

I am looking for suggestions on integrating the existing camper wiring (12VDC with 120VAC shore power) I have 2 - 6 volt lead acid batteries and a
GIANDEL 2200W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter. 2 - 100 amp solar panels. Can I parallel the batteries to the inverter and the camper battery charger? I am missing something.
Thanks

2200 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 12 volts = 215.68627451 dc amps
215.68627451 dc amps * 1.25 fuse factor = 269.607843137 fuse amps.
Yes you can parallel the charger and the inverter to the battery.
The inverter needs 0 awg cable assuming its <10 feet round trip and a 275 amp fuse.
Can your battery handle an additional 215 amps draw?

Actually I'm not sure we have the same understanding of parallel.

Looks like the camper has a typical WFCO style ac/dc panel and converter, confirm?

Yes. Typical WFCO. And by parallel I meant both the Giandal charger and the WFCO chargers are both going to the same battery.

this is what we don't want
inverter->converter->dc_panel->battery->inverter

Will think about it and post tomorrow.
Anyone else feel free to jump in.

got it... I think.
Code:
                                       |->breaker->converter->dc_panel
shore_power->surge_protector->breaker->|
                                       |->
                                          |->manual_transfer_switch->master_breaker
inverter--------------------------------->

Last edited:
The big consideration is the neutral/ground bond.
When on shore power neutral and ground should only be bonded somewhere between the pedestal and the poco transformer.
When you are on inverter power the neutral and ground should be bonded within the inverter.
This is for the safety!

I have a manual transfer switch. I do not have any problems with the AC side. its the DC side that is the issue. I see now that I need to eliminate the batteries getting charged from 2 separate chargers at the same time.

I have a manual transfer switch. I do not have any problems with the AC side. its the DC side that is the issue. I see now that I need to eliminate the batteries getting charged from 2 separate chargers at the same time.

by 2 chargers you mean a solar charge controller and a converter?
Wait hold the phone is that giandel unit an all_in_one or an inverter_charger?

Your picture shows pv panels going to the inverter that suggests its an all_in_one, confirm?
If it is this whole thing gets much simpler.

You can have multiple charge sources you just can't have a power loop between the converter and the inverter.

Here is another option
Code:
                                                   |<->battery->inverter->ac_panel
shore_power->surge_protector->converter->dc_panel->|
                                                   |->dc_loads

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back