diy solar

diy solar

kWh Production Expectations Versus Reality

poplarcreek

Hello all,

I have a new system set up with 28 400 watt panels that connect to 2 EG4 6500EX inverters and EG4 LifePower4 batteries. I'm having a difficult time telling on Watch Power how much energy they are producing. I have almost nothing connected to the system yet, and it is off-grid. Watch Power says that it is making 3-5 kWh per day, but it should be making much more than that according to what I'm calculating, I believe. Is this number simply because the system is not using much electricity, and the load is low?

I'm trying to determine if I have a problem out at the PV panel connections, or if this is normal.

Thank you!

If the batteries are full, there won't be any demand and the panels won't push any power. You need more demand for the panels to produce more power. If you change the inverter setting to run from battery only for a few days and deplete the battery to 50%, than change it back to solar, you can get a better idea of solar production.

If the batteries are full, there won't be any demand and the panels won't push any power. You need more demand for the panels to produce more power. If you change the inverter setting to run from battery only for a few days and deplete the battery to 50%, than change it back to solar, you can get a better idea of solar production.
Thank you. That is what I suspected, and it certainly makes me feel better! The batteries are full, and the only load on the system is the internet router, and the inverters themselves of course.

Thank you. That is what I suspected, and it certainly makes me feel better! The batteries are full, and the only load on the system is the internet router, and the inverters themselves of course.
Plug in an electric heater when the sun is out and watch your production. Or a couple of heaters. But yeah, that's all that is going on. No load and full batteries so there's nowhere for it to go.

I have (40) 390W panels. I'm in Southern NH. On a 100% sun day in March I have made a maximum of 54.3kWh with my panels set currently at 55deg from horizontal.

A 100% cloud day produces about 2kWh.

A 100% light rain day about 1-1.5kWh

Back