diy solar

diy solar

Length can I run #10AWG photovoltaic wire between PV’s and a 48 volt system?

Retired newbie

HelloY
I want to buy the EG4 all in one 48V system with the Trophy battery on the Harbor Freight dolly like the one in Mr. Prowse’s youtube video but my House is surrounded by trees. I have 8-230W Sunpower panels mounted on a 16’ cargo trailer in the spot with the most sun (5-6 hours) but it is over 100’ from my house. Can I use a 125’ length of #10 AWG photovoltaic wire?

Maybe. Probably. What is the V of the sunpowers? Go to an online DC cable calculator and put in the numbers. Your total voltage is of course 8 x the voltage of your panels assuming you have all 8 in series. The amperage is 1840/total voltage.

But here's the good news another user shared with me. The voltage drop that would normally be unacceptable in a AC setup, is potentially moot in DC. The MPPT inverter doesn't really care if you have 2 or 3 % loss. You lose some production, but as long as you have not created so much heat to burn something up, you are fine.

If you want to read the specifics, here's the thread. Remote connection to array questions

DC Calc I used which seemed good

Yes you can - there could be some losses. - let’s figure them out so you can make decisions…

First we need some data on your system:

How are you planning on wiring the panels? 8S - 4S2P.
What are the complete panel specs?

With the EG4 you are planning to buy:
what is the max voltage for Voc?
What is the needed voltage range?
What is the max amps it can handle?
How many PV inputs does it have?

That wire could be fine or you might need to upgrade to #8awg. If you can answer the above questions- we should be able to figure it out (unless I forgot a question to ask).

Maybe. Probably. What is the V of the sunpowers? Go to an online DC cable calculator and put in the numbers. Your total voltage is of course 8 x the voltage of your panels assuming you have all 8 in series. The amperage is 1840/total voltage.

But here's the good news another user shared with me. The voltage drop that would normally be unacceptable in a AC setup, is potentially moot in DC. The MPPT inverter doesn't really care if you have 2 or 3 % loss. You lose some production, but as long as you have not created so much heat to burn something up, you are fine.

If you want to read the specifics, here's the thread. Remote connection to array questions

DC Calc I used which seemed good
The voltage drop will be near 3% which usually is not a problem. That's with #10 conductor

Yes you can - there could be some losses. - let’s figure them out so you can make decisions…

First we need some data on your system:

How are you planning on wiring the panels? 8S - 4S2P.
What are the complete panel specs?

With the EG4 you are planning to buy:
what is the max voltage for Voc?
What is the needed voltage range?
What is the max amps it can handle?
How many PV inputs does it have?

That wire could be fine or you might need to upgrade to #8awg. If you can answer the above questions- we should be able to figure it out (unless I forgot a question to ask).
Hello and thanks for answering! The VOC of the Sunpowers is 40.5. I am completely ignorant about 48V systems but was told that I could probably have 10-230’s with the EG4? (Will Prowse said on the video to use a minimum of 3-400W PV’s).
I am replacing a 12V system and I don’t know the answers to the max amps and PV inputs.

We actually need all the specs on the panels - and maybe a link or model number of the EG4 you are think about (different ones have different specs)

Here is the calculator I like to use.

Let's say you wire your panels 4S2P, and are running ~12A of power through them around noon. You are only losing <4V (<3%), which I would consider acceptable. What is the voltage limit of your particular EG4?
1691076372865.png

Ok, thanks again to everyone for your help!
the Sunpower PV’s are 230E-WHT-D.
Peak power (Pmax) ((+5/-3%)=230
Voltage VOC=40.5
Shirt Circuit (isc)=6.05
Current (Imp)=5.68

The EG4 3KW/3000EHV-48 all in one:
3000W input,
5000 WPW
500VOC input
A/C output 120V

Can I have the 8 panels 125’ from the EG4 mounted with a Trophy 48V battery on a Harbor Freight dolly (out of the weather on my porch)?

diy solar

diy solar
Back