diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 Suitable for Standby Power at Remote Radio Site?

knx26

This will be for an unattended hilltop repeater site where all the RF gear operates at 12VDC. Current consumption approx 2A (receive), 15A (transmit). Average 4 hours transmit per day, so about 100 Ah daily.

For standby power, we’ve always used a single 100Ah Trojan AGM paralleled across an IOTA DLS-55 power supply/charger. An outboard LVD protects the battery from over-discharge in an extended power outage. When grid power goes away, the battery carries the loads for about 20 hours before the LVD trips open to protect the battery. When grid power returns, DLS-55 tops up the battery automatically and everything returns to normal with no need to visit the site. This has served us well for many years. Most utility power outages have been less than 20 hours in duration.

With the prospect of grid power becoming less reliable, I'd like to increase battery capacity enough to provide 5-7 days run time. Something on the order of 600-800 Ah. PV panels are impractical at this site. This will simply be a 12VDC UPS, charged by utility power. No inverter. Just batteries powering 12VDC loads directly. Low discharge rate (2A typical, 15A max) for several consecutive days. In the event of a long duration grid outage, we could bring a portable genset to the site and let it run overnight once a week to top up the battery bank.

We could just get more AGMs and parallel them for the needed capacity, but the radio equipment is housed in an older wood frame building. We’ll need to fabricate a custom solution to spread out the 600+ lbs of AGMs to avoid overloading the floorboards. Pretty sure it’s do-able but will require extra work and expense. The building is equipped with electric heat & AC and the temperature stays between 50-80F year round except during power outages, when it could be anywhere from 0-120F.

LiFePO4 has many attractive advantages, but the two main sticking points seem to be:
  • I understand for optimum health, LFP cells need frequent cycling - is this correct? How much degradation in performance and life span should we expect from holding them at or near 100% SOC most of the time and they might only be cycled a few times annually. They will seldom be needed but when grid power is lost, they must work. A buggy-glitchy BMS that inexplicably disconnects the loads for no good reason will not be suitable at this unattended site.
  • During an extended grid outage in winter, the indoor temperature could fall below 32F. Is it worthwhile considering self-heating LFP batteries for these rare instances? When grid power returns, the site’s wall-mounted electric heater will begin gradually raising the indoor temperature, but the battery charger will begin trying to recharge the pack immediately. It might take 1-2 hours until the pack warms up enough for the BMS to allow charge current into the cells. Am I understanding this correctly? I know that some LFP batteries are not equipped with low temperature charge cutoff, so we'd have to be sure to select batteries that do provide it. Been noticing quite a few low cost Chinese-made LFP battery packs (cells and BMS in a plastic case) coming on the market. Some are equipped with low temp charge cutoff, others not. Wondering if the low temp charge cutoff in these Chinese packs should be counted upon to reliably disallow charging below 32F - or should a separate means be provided to prevent low temp charging? There will not be anyone present to detect and respond to any malfunctions of the BMS. It needs to be safe and just work, unattended.
Interested in suggestions or recommendations:
  • Stay with AGM or switch to LFP?
  • Anyone have any experience using LFPs in this application?
  • Could we still use the same Iota DLS-55 to charge a 600-800Ah bank of LFPs if we unplug the existing (AGM-optimized) Iota IQ-4 module and substitute Iota’s new LFP-optimized IQ-4 module? I realize it might take 12-18 hours to fully recharge a pack of that size with a 50A charger but that would be okay for us.
  • Anyone have any specific make or model of LFP batteries they would like to recommend? I'm okay with building a pack from raw cells/BMS, too - did that once before in a 48V residential PV system that gets cycled every day and it works great, but this application is entirely different.
Thanks.

I would stick with AGM and expand capacity. I worry about a lengthy utility outage during frigid weather though. How do you prevent charging the AGM batteries upon utility restoral if they have frozen?

The LFP batteries definitely won't hold up well if left at 100% SOC!

What if you added some functions to the repeater controller that allowed you to control the charger to allow cycling the LFP batteries daily, basically run from them at all times? If bad weather is predicted, you could enable the charger to top them off completely (hopefully before the utility outage). Doesn't sound like it is an issue but you could even charge them off peak!

Neat project. I think you could go LFP and effectively have a standard off grid solar energy system - just replace the panels with a charger. The batteries would obviously not know any difference!

Thanks for replying, Madco. I thought about that, and I like the idea of exercising the batteries daily, perhaps on a scheduled basis. Only thing is, the 55A charger we're using (Iota) has no provision to be turned off & on remotely (no remote control contacts), except by unplugging it. It pulls about 1000W off the AC line under load and there is often high inrush current when powering it up (draws an arc when plug is inserted into the wall). I'd have to use a robust contactor of some sort to make and break the line side of the AC input. Not sure I'd want to be making and breaking that connection every day - seems unhealthy.

Perhaps there is a BMS that can be externally controlled with a simple hardware contact closure to turn CHARGING off, but leave DISCHARGING always on? Then I could set up a timer to assert that contact closure to disable charging for a certain number of hours each day. Anybody know of a BMS with this capability? Does such a thing exist? Or perhaps there is a simpler solution? It just needs to be foolproof, reliable.

I’ve been in the communications industry for 40 years. FLA is the way to go for longevity but they require maintenance and ventilation. Depending on your budget, C&D has several choices and their gear is high quality.

Thanks for replying, Brett V. I wouldn't want to use any of C&D's FLA cells due to outgassing during charging and the periodic watering that's needed, but their AGM offerings look favorable. I've observed C&D AGMs at many cellular and other commercial telecom sites (I worked in that field 2007-2012). In particular, the C&D model # TEL12-210Fa has robust looking specs and will operate over a wide temperature range (-40 to +160F discharging and -10 to +140F charging). +74 to 80F is optimal for these batteries and our site falls within that range nearly all of the time (is outside that range only during AC power loss). A set of four would provide our desired capacity for about $2700 shipped, which is a large outlay and the batteries are heavy at 132 lbs each (ugh). I suspect LiFePO4 could provide similar capacity at the same or even lower cost but if they are not primarily intended for standby applications, and will require a bunch of extra measures, such as devising a method to cycle them regularly, then perhaps they are not the best choice? Guess that may explain why I've never seen LiFePO4 deployed for standby power at any commercial telecom sites? Seems the main advantage to the C&D AGMs is longevity (10 year design life) and being dead simple with very little to go wrong. Set and forget.

Before I decide, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has deployed LFP for (non-PV) standby power at an unattended two way radio site. Surely someone has tried it, because LFP has so many favorable attributes in cycling applications, such as residential PV. If anyone has tried this, please describe your setup and how you charge them and if you are satisfied with the results. Thanks so much.

Back