diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 wired in parallel

roland_

Hi there, I am a beginner...
Why does Will state that batteries (LiFePo4) do not like to be wired in parallel? Have heard him saying it in one of his videos.
I am in the process of designing a solar power system for my sailboat and many of the electricians and salespeople (in Europe) tell me I can wire them without problems. I am a bit confused.

Thanks
Roland

Would need to look for it but I remember it because I took notes with many of his videos. I might just find it....Will check it out.

It depends on the batteries. Some manufacturers say it is OK and some say not to do it and some say OK with some limitations. It likely all depends on how smart the BMSs are.

Some batteries have data ports that link them all together so every individual cell in a pack can be monitored and balanced to all other cells.

Also depends on how hard you push the batteries.

That's interesting! I could have swore he says "Parallel first and Series connect later"..
Maybe this thought of his was solely on the 18650's or used cell's? I mean this is a old video.

@Will Prowse Comment?

I watched that video and wondered that as well, still deciding on a 12 or 24 volt pack and invereter

clearly says series after 2 batteries, because they wont charge or discharge the same and will ruin 1 of the packs, parallel causes an imbalance, doesnt say what battery, just says all batteries.

Back