diy solar

diy solar

LifePower4 Batteries in alarm state, 18KPV and Comm Hub, no alerts

millsan1

Solar Enthusiast
So like many of you, we are in a cold snap.

I have 12 Lifepower4, connected through Comm Hub, to my 18kpv.

I noticed my batteries charged up to 86% and stopped, but wouldn't discharge as I have them set to charge to 97% before charging is complete.

I looked on the app and web, and no alarms, alerts, etc.

Got home, and sure as heck, 3 of my batteries were in an alarm state, and at 30% SOC. I assume it was the cold, but whatever.

I reset the 3, turned off the other 9, charged the three back up to a matching SOC of the others (which were at 100%), then turned all batteries back on. I'm all good.

BUT my question is, was there a way for me to see that 3 of my batteries were in alarm state, from the app or web or something? It seems odd that I had to go and physically look, if I wasn't monitoring my system like the addict that I am, I probably wouldn't even have noticed anything.

I would be questioning how three of your batteries got so low whilst the other nine were fine, check your connections.

I would be questioning how three of your batteries got so low whilst the other nine were fine, check your connections.
They were in an alarm state, so no charging, discharging, whatever. So the whole bank was at 30%, these three went alarm, and went offline, the rest got charged up.

Ah I see. I would compare relevant settings across all 12 batteries BMS's and see whether they are exactly the same or not.

Ah I see. I would compare relevant settings across all 12 batteries BMS's and see whether they are exactly the same or not.
I will, but my question is why can't I see battery alarms in any of the apps, website, etc, given all the equipment being same manufacturer and everything in closed loop comms.

Something similar happened to me, I have 18kpv + Lifepower4. One of my batteries got so low, it shut down and the rest went on charging happily. It ended up being out of balance badly enough to slowly get lower and lower voltage. The solution was to separate out the one battery and get it to full charge and let it sit there for 24 hours to let the BMS do it's thing. After that I added it back into the system and it's been fine for several months. As others have said on this forum, it's important to let your batteries hit 99%+ once a week to keep all the individual cells balanced.

Guys, I appreciate all the attention to the batteries. Not really my ask. My ask is around alerting from the 18Kpv or anything else. It makes no sens that batteries were in alarm, but if I had not physically visited them and looked, I would not know it.

Back