diy solar

diy solar

EG4 hub overriding sol-ark settings(absorb,equalization, float)

ddeatrich

Hey guys. I have 3 EG4 Lifepower4 batteries with rack, the EG4 communication hub and a Sol-Ark 12k inverter. I'm trying to adjust float, equalization,and absortion on my Sol-Ark but the settings don't stick. If I unplug the EG4 hub, settings stay, but the moment I plug the hub in, the numbers revert to what the hub is putting out in the "charge voltage" setting on the hub.

Thing is... In the settings for the EG4 hub on the device itself, the ONLY option is "charge voltage". Upon changing this number, it changes equalization,absortion,and float in the Sol-Ark. I don't want all 3 options to change to the same number. However, no matter what I've tried it always gets overwritten. Anyone else having this issue or can test it? And is there a fix?

If James or Ben see this, can you please add additional settings in the EG4 hub to fix this issue? @SignatureSolarJames @SignatureSolarTech

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have 3 EG4 Lifepower4 batteries with rack, the EG4 communication hub and a Sol-Ark 12k inverter. I'm trying to adjust float, equalization,and absortion on my Sol-Ark but the settings don't stick. If I unplug the EG4 hub, settings stay, but the moment I plug the hub in, the numbers revert to what the hub is putting out in the "charge voltage" setting on the hub.

Thing is... In the settings for the EG4 hub on the device itself, the ONLY option is "charge voltage". Upon changing this number, it changes equalization,absortion,and float in the Sol-Ark. I don't want all 3 options to change to the same number. However, no matter what I've tried it always gets overwritten. Anyone else having this issue or can test it? And is there a fix?

If James on Ben see this, can you please add additional settings in the EG4 hub to fix this issue?
Yeah, so the hun is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
If you need to change those settings, you should do so in your bms's

If James on Ben see this, can you please add additional settings in the EG4 hub to fix this issue?
What voltage are you trying to use for float?

Update the battery firmware and you will be good to go.

Yeah, so the hun is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
If you need to change those settings, you should do so in your bms's
On the batteries directly? I thought the hub was supposed manage this for all the batteries itself.

What voltage are you trying to use for float?

Update the battery firmware and you will be good to go.
I set 54.5 in the EG4 hub for charging voltage. So in my Sol-Ark, the change on the hub sets float, absortion, and equalization to 54.5 volts. However, id like to set equalization to 55 and leave the others 54.5, based on replies from signature solar.

So you are going to have to disconnect the hub and run without communications. Then everything is under your control.

On the batteries directly? I thought the hub was supposed manage this for all the batteries itself.

I set 54.5 in the EG4 hub for charging voltage. So in my Sol-Ark, the change on the hub sets float, absortion, and equalization to 54.5 volts. However, id like to set equalization to 55 and leave the others 54.5, based on replies from signature solar.
54.5v is way to low.

You need to set the hub at 56.5v or higher.

The batteries will naturally "float" down to 54.5v after reaching 100% (possibly by turning off charging mos). When using the newest 3.26 battery firmware.

The BMS will also reset the SOC to 100% once the battery hits 56.5%

Here's an example of my LP4 batteries from yesterday.

Screenshot_20230917_082133_Edge.jpg
Screenshot_20230917_082104_Edge.jpg

Almost sounds like you want to charger your lithium batteries like lead.

Last edited:
54.5v is way to low.

The batteries will naturally "float" down to 54.5v after reaching 100% (possibly by turning off charging mos). When using the newest 3.26 battery firmware.

View attachment 167956
View attachment 167957
Thanks! Setting it to 56.5 now. It has been changed. I also use solar assistant!

Not related to what we were talking about but ..one thing I guess I don't fully understand is the max grid charge current setting. My sol-ark uses a 60amp breaker that is connected to my main panel. From every post I've seen on here for EG4 batteries, everyone has their max grid charge current to 185AMP. Wouldn't I have to use 60AMP as the max charge setting and not 185AMP?

Almost sounds like you want to charger your lithium batteries like lead.
I had it set this way before. It wasn't the best accuracy. That's why I bought the EG4 hub. Removing it would pretty much be a waste of money. I'd rather run connected directly to BMS for best accuracy and whatnot.

Last edited:
My sol-ark uses a 60amp breaker that is connected to my main panel. From every post I've seen on here for EG4 batteries, everyone has their max grid charge current to 185AMP. Wouldn't I have to use 60AMP as the max charge setting and not 185AMP?
60 amp double pole = 14,000 watts
Battery charging at 185 amp x 56.5v = 10,000 watts

Numbers rounded.

I had it set this way before. It wasn't the best accuracy. That's why I bought the EG4 hub. Removing it would pretty much be a waste of money. I'd rather run connected directly to BMS for best accuracy and whatnot.
Lead batteries require equalization, lithium batteries do not.

54.5v is way to low.

View attachment 167956
View attachment 167957
Just chatted with signature solar. They told me 56.5 voltage is too high, and to use 56.2. I'm having cell over voltage errors so maybe it's true?

Yup! Just wanted to let ya know in case it's too high for yours too so yours don't break
I use the closed loop comms LP4 to 18Kpv. Doesn't require the hub. BTW the oem battery settings when using communication is 58.4v (subject to change with new firmware).

Edit to add: "Constant Voltage" subject to change with future BMS firmware.

20230918_161320.jpg

Last edited:
I have a battery bank of 8x EG4 LiFePower4s. During the day I'm charging my Tesla with them. Yesterday six of the eight went into alarm, the two that weren't in alarm were drained to less than 25% and couldn't pull the amperage needed, so my Sol-Ark shut things down.

I've noticed this happen MANY times over the last year (was installed about a year ago), the batteries are not drained at the same rate. Would the communication hub fix this and make them all drain at the same rate?

I have a battery bank of 8x EG4 LiFePower4s. During the day I'm charging my Tesla with them. Yesterday six of the eight went into alarm, the two that weren't in alarm were drained to less than 25% and couldn't pull the amperage needed, so my Sol-Ark shut things down.

I've noticed this happen MANY times over the last year (was installed about a year ago), the batteries are not drained at the same rate. Would the communication hub fix this and make them all drain at the same rate?
No..
Might help keeping them a bit more balanced..
Can you take a picture on how you wired your stack to your inverter(s) ?

Back