diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 Issues...

EddieO

I have a Midnight 5k inverter and two Lifepower4 batteries.

When power runs down on batteries the red alarm light kicks in on both. On one battery no SOC green light and the other one green SOC light blinking then it kicks in.

It only charges to three SOC Green lights from shore power. I have to use a separate charger to get it to 4 green lights.

Someone help please...

Ensure all connections are properly torqued with no wire shrink or washers in the circuit path.
Ensure connection scheme properly draws "across" the entire battery bank.

Are they in communication with the inverter?

If not, concerning charging, you likely have your absorption voltage too low.

If you connect up to the RJ45 port on the front of the battery, using the correct cable from SigSolar, you can use the BMS tools software (make sure you grab the right version for your batteries) and see whats going on.

I'm going to guess that the batteries are not getting fully charged, since you only see 3 green LED on the battery. So you are probably using a lower charging voltage than needed to fully charge the battery. Conversely, when the battery voltage gets low, the amperage demands increase so any low cell can trigger low voltage disconnect.

Watching the batteries from BMS Test can help you understand exactly what the BMS is doing, and help you understand how the charging and other inverter settings impact the batteries. Getting this data is the first step in properly diagnosing the root causes.

The red light comes on when the SOC falls below a threshold. I forget the number, I think its like 15%. I bleed mine down to 3% from time to time, red lights stay on for quite some time until they charge back up. "Float" voltage is 54v. I've seen my EG4 inverters spike up close to 57 before settling around 54. If you are manually setting it, I'd start at 54.2 and push it up/down from there.

1700601072860.png

1700601290066.png

Back