diy solar

diy solar

Limitation to AC coupling with EG4 18K, help required...

Which part? I pulled that from the manual
You are right. I am not questioning you. I know it was from the manual. But again, what is quoted from the manual has a key part:

feeder tap or supply side tap as the point of utility interconnection

So all of the portions related to capacity, backfeeding, etc are contingent on the above.

When AC Coupled, the gen side is connected to grid when grid is up. When grid is down, the gen side gets connected to load.
I understand the Gen Port is bidirectional and that the recommended connection configuration is to connect AC coupled solar to the Gen Port. Do you know if the load port is bidirectional?

Are you saying the Load side is not bidirectional and that is why it would not work when the grid is up? Or are you saying that when the grid is down the Gen port is the preferred way to ensure the inverter can cut off the AC coupled solar quickly? I do not know the particulars of the EG4 but those ports are typically bidirectional, at least that is the case with my So
I believe it's because the gen side frequency shifts, And the load side does not.

Obviously you can't backfeed 200A PV breaker in 200A panel with 200A main breaker under 120% rule.
So line-side or load-side tap makes sense.

Unless you remove all other breakers from the panel, then use the rule "sum of all breakers not counting main breaker", just a 200A PV breaker, no loads on main panel.

I think that's what is colloquially known as "Hawaiian Tie-In."

I believe it's because the gen side frequency shifts, And the load side does not.

Could you explain how that works to me, like I'm an EE?

When batteries are full, loads are smaller than production and grid down you need to put the extra power somewhere and there's not so you need to stop the ac coupled array production. To do so the 18k will ramp up the frequency to 61.2 Hertz on the GEN port and the ac coupled inverter will shut off thanks to this signal.

Yes but, how does inverter shift frequency on Gen port but not on Load port?

(by the way, my Avatar shows my 4x Sunny Island system which is AC coupled to Sunny Boy for backup. And I was the one who tried to get it to work with SB 10000TL-US-12 then told SMA that inverter fails to ramp down power when in "backup" mode, only works in "island" mode. SMA confirmed my report by firmware review, and updated their compatibility document to say that model was not supported for backup.)

Maybe I should have said, "like I'm an EE who has implemented and debugged AC coupled systems with frequency-watts?"

Obviously you can't backfeed 200A PV breaker in 200A panel with 200A main breaker under 120% rule.
So line-side or load-side tap makes sense.

Unless you remove all other breakers from the panel, then use the rule "sum of all breakers not counting main breaker", just a 200A PV breaker, no loads on main panel.

I think that's what is colloquially known as "Hawaiian Tie-In."

Could you explain how that works to me, like I'm an EE?
Unfortunately, I am a southern redneck, so I had to explain how I comprehend it.

Last edited:
I understand the Gen Port is bidirectional and that the recommended connection configuration is to connect AC coupled solar to the Gen Port. Do you know if the load port is bidirectional?
I do not believe so, and I have read nothing that indicates it is.

You comprehend it correctly, as do I.
There is only a relay between output and generator port. Not an entire inverter. They can't be different frequencies.

I'm the EE here who usually helps others with Sunny Island and Sunny Boy issues.
But I do learn from others here too.

Likely Generator port is recommended so it can be shed instantly. And may have a current limit smaller than some existing GT PV systems. Ought to work to put them on load rather than generator port, but there could be issues when load suddenly shuts off and inverter can't stuff current into battery fast enough. Or can't reverse bidirectional DC/DC converter.

SolArk recommends DC coupled PV greater than AC coupled, which lets them ramp DC up and down. But they also recommend using generator port.

Last edited:
Vince Max please let us know how it works out? I rudely interrupted hoping to get the thread back on topic. I am really interested how your system turns out. Thanks

Vince Max please let us know how it works out? I rudely interrupted hoping to get the thread back on topic. I am really interested how your system turns out. Thanks
Well i was excepting the behavior i explained and understood for EG4 docs about the 18k but EG4 system design guy is telling me NO and Millsan1 is doing what i do plan to do with the 18k....so i guess i will disturb Millsan1 to be sure we are in the same configuration goals before buying for 25 k of goods to EG4....

How could one port have a different frequency than another port when there is only one inverter? I don't know the details of the EG4, but if it is like my SolArk, the Gen Port is used for AC coupling so that when the grid is down and the loads shift down signigficantly, the Gen Port relay can drop the AC coupled solar if it cannot ramp down the AC coupled solar fast enough.

How could one port have a different frequency than another port when there is only one inverter? I don't know the details of the EG4, but if it is like my SolArk, the Gen Port is used for AC coupling so that when the grid is down and the loads shift down signigficantly, the Gen Port relay can drop the AC coupled solar if it cannot ramp down the AC coupled solar fast enough.
you know, Im confused why they advocate for the gen port, especially in the case of the 18kpv.

If it controlled pv inverter output while on grid, it would make sense to use the gen port, because it could just disconnect the relay since it would have no way of frequency shifting.

but, the 18kpv passes all ac coupled pv to the grid so why does it need to be able to disconnect the pv?

if there is no grid it should be able to quickly drop any grid tie inverter even on the load port, instantly. once a day my hybrid inverter intentionally drops the pv inverter that's ac coupled on the load port. it raises frequency to 63 hz for a second and the pv inverter is INSTANTLY dead.

surely any decent hybrid inverter can do this.

edit:
I may have answered my own question"

from the manual.
When On-Grid and Export to Grid enabled, the AC-coupled inverter will always be on, and it will sell any extrapower back to the grid. Ensure you are allowed to sell power to your utility provider. When export to Grid is disabled, the AC-coupled inverter will stay at off mode and could not work at on-gridmode to sell power.

Last edited:
Obviously, it can't. I was just hoping the thread would get back on topic with that comment. Unfortunately looks they are taking the conversation behind the Scenes. But thanks for the reply.

Doubtful unless you have actually tried it.
I haven't, nor will I, since there are clear instructions on how to do it.

A critical point to my statement above is "my bet", I did not make a statement of fact nor an assertion of absolute truth. I put forth my thought. I am more than open to being wrong, but I will not be testing the theory, since I have my system upa nd running, as expected, as per manual, and it works very well.

Back