diy solar

diy solar

Load-Centers for combining batteries?

copec

Solar Enthusiast
I’ve seen Square-D QO based load centers used with their UL and Square-D certified ratings used in DC applications:
https://www.se.com/us/en/faqs/FA95999/
https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/B26D...711A/B26D5EDB-DE42-4F3F-B367-3401D50A711A.pdf

I wonder if anybody knows of any other relatively inexpensive systems where you can easily add breakers, and have a higher kA rating for combining batteries?

Right now I just have a couple of copper bars on stand-offs that I tie everything to with class-T fuses on the positive, but it is sort of a mess and would be nice to have a clean breaker load center to do it, but one with sufficient rating for full li-on battery shorts?

The QO breakers have limit AIC ratings for DC.

For AC, "current limiting" Class-T fuses can reduce as high as 200kA to equivalent of 20kA, but in DC application with 20kA rating, they don't further reduce it for downstream fuses.
Maybe some other fuses such as Ferraz Shawmut "Amp Trap" would be fast enough for DC, look into that.

Most of the DC panels I've seen are DIN rail and use wires or busbars screwed into DC breakers & fuse holders.

How many batteries and what short-circuit current?
Midnight has various (CBI or other manufacturer) breakers. The larger ones aren't cheap, but 50kA AIC and 175A or 250A.

The QO breakers have limit AIC ratings for DC.

For AC, "current limiting" Class-T fuses can reduce as high as 200kA to equivalent of 20kA, but in DC application with 20kA rating, they don't further reduce it for downstream fuses.
Maybe some other fuses such as Ferraz Shawmut "Amp Trap" would be fast enough for DC, look into that.

Most of the DC panels I've seen are DIN rail and use wires or busbars screwed into DC breakers & fuse holders.

How many batteries and what short-circuit current?
Midnight has various (CBI or other manufacturer) breakers. The larger ones aren't cheap, but 50kA AIC and 175A or 250A.
Sorry I'm all over the place lately.

I've settled on using about 5kw batteries all with li-on chemistry in the 3-4.2v range (second life cells) with 60A JK active balancer BMS's. I'm programming a central single board computer to proxy communications to my Deye inverters. This is a new project so I only have one battery that I'm testing with and programming with right now. It appears I need to find a good fuse I can trust for a decent price and work backwards on each batteries size to that. Then just use the QO breakers for loads only - I want to do some 40-60vdc circuits with 48vdc edison socket bulbs that can run directly off the battery bus. I was hoping to figure out something that could combine the batteries, properly break a short current, and have a busbar system with snap-in breakers... that would just be *slick*

My main system has one big battery and one inverter each with a trace/xantrex class-T fuse altestore

I like the idea of having an off-grid cabin with 48vdc wiring and sized inverters with each AC appliance that gets run, so this is sort of research for the future. I also anticipate that 40-60vdc to USB PD will be more of a thing when the higher power ratings get more widespread USB PD.

I can power one of my little laptops directly from this 40v Ryobi inverter usb-c port with a 250wh battery for a long time.

Back