diy solar

diy solar

Looking for high quality prismatic cells

mitiempo

I am building a system for my sailboat. It will see offshore use. I received my SBMS0 today from Dacian and am now looking for cells. I want a bank of approximately 300 AH. 12 volts. Either 4S or 2P4S. Prefer a Canadian or US supplier.

Who is reliable and what cells are anyone favoring? I am looking for quality over price.

I got good cells from Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology on Alibaba. My rep‘s name was Hayley.

Documented the process here.

My preference is to purchase from a dealer in North America.
Looking at brands such as Calb, Winston, Sinopoly. Fortune looks good but I believe they only go as large as 100 AH.

Best quality cells i have seen are LiFeTech Lithium.

The only manufacturer i know who builds this quality of cell and also sells to the public.

Q-Dog

I would never buy a battery with an internal inaccessible BMS
The Treeline battery cases can be opened, and you can also buy thebattery with no case. No idea about the marine battery guys as I didn't get that far with them.

I already have the Electrodacus BMS. Looking just for quality cells as mentioned above.

Does anyone know a reliable supplier in the US or Canada?

I realize that the price will be higher than purchasing offshore.

I just received my 4 100ah fortune cells for the boats trolling motor. They are pretty impressive in person......I really wanted to save money and get more storage. But I just thought of the pounding that the lil 15' boat gets when it chops up at places like Lk Champlain and had to decide in favor of the advertised massive 10mm studs that can survive an impact gun. Internally they must be so well built. Nothing can get in the way of the days I get out on the water.

Best quality cells i have seen are LiFeTech Lithium.

The only manufacturer i know who builds this quality of cell and also sells to the public.

Is that the same company as Lithium Batteries Australia?

[Edit: Looks to be the same company. They make their own cells. There are some interesting views about lithium batteries on their website.]

Last edited:
I am building a system for my sailboat. It will see offshore use. I received my SBMS0 today from Dacian and am now looking for cells. I want a bank of approximately 300 AH. 12 volts. Either 4S or 2P4S. Prefer a Canadian or US supplier.

Who is reliable and what cells are anyone favoring? I am looking for quality over price.

Go Winston/ThunderPower. They have a US dealer network. There was a guy on here with new 700Ah cells - bigger then you are looking for but 4 of those would do it.

The aluminum cases 272/280/310Ah options are not something I would use in a "high quality" system, and particularly in a offshore application as corrosion will eat them up pretty quick - it will get under the blue cover film and case is not very thick.

I would avoid aluminum case cells. I’d select CALB USA cells. They are matched by the factory and
and well built. (designed for aircraft, and a bit expensive)

I am looking for quality over price.
Battleborn or Victron easily come to mind for this requirement.

I would never buy a battery with an internal inaccessible BMS
Is there a story or phobia for this? I am not sure i've ever heard even an inkling
of someone wanting anything more/different from the Battleborn BMS.

My impression is that if you can afford the Battleborns, you simply cannot go wrong. And a 10 year warranty makes sleeping at night a lot easier too.

I want a system where the BMS communicates with charge sources and loads. That leaves out drop-in batteries.

I already have a BMS - Electrodacus, and have ordered Calb CA180 cells. 8 to make a 2P4S bank. They weren't very expensive.

I think drop-in batteries are going to have issues in the future, at least with marine, as they will not meet the new ABYC standards.
My system will be on my sailboat.

Last edited:
I believe Lithionics does an internal bms in their batts that will talk to the system. Actual marine grade, not just marine grade sticker slapped on an existing case. Very not cheap, however.

I believe Lithionics does an internal bms in their batts that will talk to the system. Actual marine grade, not just marine grade sticker slapped on an existing case. Very not cheap, however.
Yes, I know a bit about Lithionics. Probably the best drop-in battery available. Probably the only one available that meets ABYC's proposed standards.
I am building a system from cells though.

Back