diy solar

diy solar

Looking for Opinions/Advice - Solar Design for Van

Rzapata

Hey guys, I am a complete newbie to electrical and solar DIY projects, but I have decided to take on a huge project of doing the entire electrical and solar system for my van.

I just finished my first draft of the design which includes wire and fuse size calculations. Would anyone be willing to review the design and provide feedback for this build? If you have any negative or positive experiences with any of these components or a combination of these components, I would love to know!

For context, I tried to replicate Explorist.Life's design as much as possible but switched out some components due to price restraints on my end. My total energy consumption per day should not exceed 3950Wh so I was looking for a solar array greater than 800W. Also, my focus was to make sure this system was scalable, so some of the components are oversized in case I decide to introduce more appliances like a microwave or convection oven (currently using a propane oven). The solar array is planned to be wired in series-parallel

Attachments

• Van Electrical Diagram.pdf
    232.3 KB · Views: 12
The 100 amp fuse seems large feeding #6 wire to the DC distribution. 50 amps is plenty or go #4.

25 amps through #10 will lose some power to voltage drop. I would be at #8 wire unless very short. Diagram says 10, chart says 8?
The 15 amp solar fuses are not needed.

utility connection 10/2 + ground romex is fine in the diagram. Chart says 6/3 and would be for 50a.

Careful with a 30a DC-DC to control power from the alternator as it can draw 45 amps to correct the voltage and give the 30 amps to the battery. Just make sure the alternator is fine with 50 amp additional load. I would drop to 20a rating if unknown.

That is my quick review. Best of luck on the assembly.

If you plan to use a high power inverter, going for a 24 volt system at this stage should be seriously considered. The 3000 watt inverter charger shown is not practical in a 12v system if used at full power.

Renogy solar controller and battery monitor could be replaced with Victron units. This will remove the issues you will find with the Renogy products. By going 24 volts the solar controller cost is reduced.

There is no over current protection at the starter battery in the Orion feed cable, fuse needed.

The shore power feed to the inverter may need over current protection and isolation.

Consider protection in the AC distribution, check the inverter carries neutral to protective earth bond when not on shore power and consider ground fault, earth leakage, protection, GFCI/ RCD to protect against electric shock. ( this may exist in your AC distribution box)

Last edited:
Back