diy solar

diy solar

Looking for some feedback on my wiring diagram (48v system)

s0l4rn00b

I'm currently building a system for my skoolie build (school bus tiny home) and I'm looking for a second eye on my wiring diagram. I'm doing a 48v system with Victron Components, (2) EG4 server rack batteries paired 2200 watts of panels via 2 strings. My charge controller is overkill (by a good margin) but the rest I want to make sure I'm on the money when it comes to wire size and fuses. I've color coded my wires by amps/gauge and would love to get some feedback.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 9.38.52 AM.png

First - battery monitor- look at Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. You want to know how full/empty the batteries are.

Second, highly consider adding a Cerbo (and touch) (or roll your own), to the system. The information you get will be awesome! (Look at some YouTube videos about the Cerbo). It will also let you control the Multiplus from the Cerbo (you won’t need the DSU). This completes the Victron communications.

I think I have read that some people have difficulty sourcing the small MEGA fuses for the Victron distributor. Find the fuses you need (you may need to increase the wire size).

Also, you could get a Victron power In and add fuses (videos on YouTube) - it will save you a few bucks.

One other item you may or may not want to consider is the Victron smart Battery Protects (like BP-65). This can cut power at a certain level, so if you leave stuff on the 12v, it will cut it (at say 12.5v) before draining the batteries all the way down. It depends on how you are going to use it - if it makes sense.

Good Luck.

First - battery monitor- look at Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. You want to know how full/empty the batteries are.

Second, highly consider adding a Cerbo (and touch) (or roll your own), to the system. The information you get will be awesome! (Look at some YouTube videos about the Cerbo). It will also let you control the Multiplus from the Cerbo (you won’t need the DSU). This completes the Victron communications.

I think I have read that some people have difficulty sourcing the small MEGA fuses for the Victron distributor. Find the fuses you need (you may need to increase the wire size).

Also, you could get a Victron power In and add fuses (videos on YouTube) - it will save you a few bucks.

One other item you may or may not want to consider is the Victron smart Battery Protects (like BP-65). This can cut power at a certain level, so if you leave stuff on the 12v, it will cut it (at say 12.5v) before draining the batteries all the way down. It depends on how you are going to use it - if it makes sense.

Good Luck.

I actually have a Cerbo, but didn't add it here since it's just communication wires. I also just track voltage instead of percentage, but the batteries do have a screen on them that show the percentage.
I think these are the main components I care about at this point, I may add others in the future.

Back