diy solar

diy solar

looking for some help/guidance IRT wiring, THHN vs UF-B vs THWN vs etc. etc. etc.

Scroll to 40 seconds in...

oh trust me I think drop boxes should be illegal. you want to vote? show up in person with a government produced ID... a drivers license, a voters card, or a passport.

for people that are home bound send it paperwork and the local sheriffs department accompanied by election integrity overseer's from both parties can go door to door to invalids and nursing homes to collect sealed ballots in person when the voter provides proof of ID. if they are too senile to do that, they are too senile to vote.

the only people doing mail in voting should be military, DOD, and or diplomats stationed in a war zone or outside the reach of the closest consulates. IE if you can travel for two hours or less and reach a consulate, and you want to vote put those feet in gear, other wise even US citizens overseas should fuck off.

edited for clarification: I am three hours away form the closest consulate and i would glady travel that far to vote... not an issue.

You just want the mm^2 conversion for common awg?

View attachment 227881
Not sure if it's the same in Japan but here it doesn't work great example is pipe, Thailand measure it in "who"(no idea what it is and in a decade I haven't worked it out either) the pipe is imperial sizes 3/4",1",2" etc but has mm ID printed on the pipe. no matter if I give them the size in inches or mm or even show them the damn pipe they convert it to "who" write down my order, it gets delivered and 99.9% of the time its the wrong size.

Thailand is the same they seem to have their own measurement system especially with things like land. Best conversation I've had on conversion was about horse power with a local guy who was curious how it converted to buffalo or elephants, world would be in interesting place if we measured things in elephant power.
Next eg4 inverter...180kElephants..Tim on suicide watch.

oh trust me I think drop boxes should be illegal. you want to vote? show up in person with a government produced ID... a drivers license, a voters card, or a passport.

for people that are home bound send it paperwork and the local sheriffs department accompanied by election integrity overseer's from both parties can go door to door to invalids and nursing homes to collect sealed ballots in person when the voter provides proof of ID. if they are too senile to do that, they are too senile to vote.

the only people doing mail in voting should be military, DOD, and or diplomats stationed in a war zone or outside the reach of the closest consulates. IE if you can travel for two hours or less and reach a consulate, and you want to vote put those feet in gear, other wise even US citizens overseas should fuck off.

edited for clarification: I am three hours away form the closest consulate and i would glady travel that far to vote... not an issue.
Yeah basically only developed country that doesn't require voter id..because you know the simple and downtrodden can't figure out how to get photocopies of their documents to apply for an ID...

thats where the rub lies, they have a multistranded wire that is thicker than 6 awg and claim that it is not thick enough for 40 amps continuous, but everything in the US indicates it should be good enough for more.

example given for wire for sale in the US. 6AWG XHHW 55 Amps at 60ºC / 65 Amps at 75ºC / 75 Amps at 90ºC

i understand that this is a function of heat and the material that wire is insulated with, but 15 amps difference? the most I would push is 34 amps at 240 (according to the manual for my two inverters when paired in parallel). and I would think that 40 amps of capacity would be fine.

they want to sell me a cable that is much, much thicker (hence expensive) and its rating is closer to 80 amps. the other thing is they do not list breakdowns for temperature (at least we have not reached that stage of discussion. they might be looking at worst case enclosed in conduit etc. etc. etc. who knows? if I had a sample or two to show them it would be easier to explain to them.

I hate to ask, but have you already spent a few minutes asking an LLM like ChatGPT? It's really, really good at multi lingual stuff. Just don't blindly trust anything it says, make sure you verify it yourself somehow.

When I asked for a Japanese equivalent to #6 THHN, I got this:
In the Japanese domestic market, the closest equivalent to 6 AWG THHN/THWN would be a cable that meets the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards). For 6 AWG, which has a cross-sectional area of approximately 13.3 mm², the Japanese equivalent would be a cable with a cross-sectional area of 14 mm².

In Japan, common types of wires used in similar applications include:

1. **IV (600V PVC insulated wire)** - Typically used for general wiring.
2. **CV (0.6/1 kV cross-linked polyethylene insulated PVC sheathed cable)** - Used for power distribution and suitable for both indoor and outdoor installations.

Here are some possible equivalents:
- **IV 14 sq mm**: This would be a close equivalent to 6 AWG THHN.
- **CV 14 sq mm**: If a more robust insulation is needed, this could be the equivalent of 6 AWG THWN.

Both IV and CV cables in the 14 sq mm size would provide similar current-carrying capacities and are readily available in the Japanese market.

I then asked about online sales of such products, and got pointed to Amazon:

You can find a 14mm² CV cable in Japanese online stores such as Amazon Japan or specialized retailers like Misumi and Densan.

For example, Misumi offers various cable products including CV cables. On their site, you can search for "CVケーブル 14mm²" to find available options. Densan also provides different types of cables and might have the 14mm² CV cable you're looking for.

Additionally, the Yazaki Group provides detailed specifications for their 600V-CV cables, which include a 14mm² option. You can visit their website to check the product catalog and possibly contact them for purchasing information (Yazaki Group).

I searched "CVケーブル 14mm²" on Amazon.co.jp and came up with this product. Not suggesting you buy it, but for me, that page renders English specs, so perhaps a useful research tool. It claims 76A @ 40ºC.

I have a lot of personal empathy for the ex-pat hurdles--hope this helps.

Sorry to derail from the election conspiracy theories facts back to the original topic! :LOL:

I hate to ask, but have you already spent a few minutes asking an LLM like ChatGPT? It's really, really good at multi lingual stuff. Just don't blindly trust anything it says, make sure you verify it yourself somehow.

I searched "CVケーブル 14mm²" on Amazon.co.jp and came up with this product. Not suggesting you buy it, but for me, that page renders English specs, so perhaps a useful research tool. It claims 76A @ 40ºC.

Sorry to derail from the election conspiracy theories facts back to the original topic! :LOL:
i will be the first to admit that I am damn near a menonite or amish when it comes to the internet and the newest and greatest... I would rather sit down with a good book and read for hours on end then mess with something like chat GTP.

eventually it will be a great tool, i have no doubts, but first they need to learn to program it neutrally. everybody touching it tries to put their own mental slant on it. don't want to even begin to get used to it as I do not want it eventually telling whomever is in charge at the moment my darkest secrets. could you imagine the shock if they found my body dumps and hidden stash's? (Try to avoid having female children... they make for a lot of work as they get older, boys are easier, you ust smack them around when they screw up.) why do you think I built my cabin next to suicide forest?
:oops:
🦡🦡🦡

Tbf I do use chat gpt alot of Thai law and it was instrumental when I decided to tell the British tax man to F off, but stuff I actually want to learn and am interested in I tend to do the research myself I'm less likely to forget it then.

I trust the LLM like chatgpt to give me direct quotes from a document like the NEC. Just don't ask it to understand it or interpret it in the least.

I don't trust it not to lie or make things up and I don't trust it without verifying it.

And never ask it for math or unit conversion, it is about as accurate as a 6 year old doing algebra and quadratic equations.

Last edited:
And don't forget, artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. The AI won't be hooking up 200amp service in a wet location wearing flip flops

diy solar

diy solar
Back