diy solar

diy solar

Looking to buy dead inverters

Prosolar

Well, gang, the title says it all.

I've got a fairly well equipped electronic test bench and I ran out of broken radios to fix.
So looking for a few dead inverters.

I'd be interested in some of the much older Trace (the large black square looking ones) to the DR series. The SW series are frankly too heavy to ship.

Older Heart would be okay as well.

Certainly not picky, but not interested in lighting struck equipment either.

And, since it's broke, I'm not going to pay a lot $$$ for one either

So anyone have a kaput inverter proping the door open to the garage ?

MikeIMG_0964.jpg

Last edited:
I have an inverter I'd give ya, It's a Powerbright APS1000-12, 1000w (2000w peak) pure sine wave inverter. Just a standalone. You can Google it to see what they look like. It worked for a year or so, running my computer rack off batteries, worked fine, then one day it just had no power, no LEDs or anything. No spark when you connect the fat power cable, nothing. Pulled the cover off, fuses are all good, nothing looks toasted, no funny smells...

How would you like that for a project?

I have an inverter I'd give ya, It's a Powerbright APS1000-12, 1000w (2000w peak) pure sine wave inverter. Just a standalone. You can Google it to see what they look like. It worked for a year or so, running my computer rack off batteries, worked fine, then one day it just had no power, no LEDs or anything. No spark when you connect the fat power cable, nothing. Pulled the cover off, fuses are all good, nothing looks toasted, no funny smells...

How would you like that for a project?
That sounds like one whale of a plan. I'll cover postage...

Nice TR7A. Classic stuff.

W8JH
Thanks.... That one was a bugger to repair. The DR board had more bad chips than a stale bag of potato chips.

I thought I'd dig into an inverter or two, more of a learning experience than anything else.

I'm wb8vge

For instance, I have a 3000W inverter with smoked fetts, a nice ups that refuses to function, a MASSIVE old ups iron core huge... Likely not worth looking at...
Several older msw bricks etc...

Any chance you would like to fix some for members?
I don't know. The low frequency inverters are so damn heavy, over 100 lbs for the lighter ones, yes, I know the Outback VFX series don't weigh that much, but they are heavy at 60ish pounds.

Then it's the part availability. Sure, the MOSFETs and some of the drivers can be purchased through Mouser or Digikey, but not the custom made ICs. Ditto the microprocessors. While you can purchase these for $1.20 each by the barrel full, they are useless without the source code and no manufacture will hand over their source code so you can upload a new processor.

Then of course it's time and labor. That's why as a whole, we consumers don't get things fixed, it's simply cheaper to throw the broken thingiee out and get a new one. SO by the time you get two way shipping, labor, parts, and testing, you've exceeded the total value of what you had repaired.

Then of course it's time and labor. That's why as a whole, we consumers don't get things fixed, it's simply cheaper to throw the broken thingiee out and get a new one. SO by the time you get two way shipping, labor, parts, and testing, you've exceeded the total value of what you had repaired.
There is also some value in keeping repairable electronics out of landfills. :)

My whole system is broken stuff. There is a cornucopia of electronics out there deemed uneconomical to fix. Broken stuff does go in and out of favor. At different times broken stuff is so cheap and then a bunch of youtube videos make people think they can fix these cheap by buying a couple FET. Often that doesn't work out. I find repair a relaxing mental activity. At least the mental part. The stuff made today is not designed to be repaired and is physically frustrating to work on.

My whole system is broken stuff. There is a cornucopia of electronics out there deemed uneconomical to fix. Broken stuff does go in and out of favor. At different times broken stuff is so cheap and then a bunch of youtube videos make people think they can fix these cheap by buying a couple FET. Often that doesn't work out. I find repair a relaxing mental activity. At least the mental part. The stuff made today is not designed to be repaired and is physically frustrating to work on.
Yes, I agree. That's why I posted this. I'd like to learn and the best way to do that for me is hands on. And you're right, too, about things not being designed for repair.

There is also some value in keeping repairable electronics out of landfills. :)
That is so very true! However, how much are you will to spend to do so? A typical 20" LCD tv can be had at Walmart for less than $200. Are you willing to spend $400 to replace the LCD screen after the dog knocked it over? Nope, I'm sure as hell won't be.

Then there are manufacturers that won't sell you parts, schematics, custom parts, or special tools. The 'right to repair' was in the news the other day when Biden signed papers to allow joe blow the right to fix his own stuff.

I have a 1500 watt SunTie with dates of 02 & 04 - it was used in a 1+ kW Sunslate net-metered system, dismantled in 2010.
It's in 11939 & if you don't want it, might it still be resurrectable ??
There's also a battery or set of them around somewhere ...

Where are you located? I have a 100lb APC 3000XL that has more intrinsic than monetary value. Shipping will be expensive.

Problem was I connected the UPS to my SCC, and under minimal AC load it did not like the elevated battery voltage. Won’t boot now. Could be a simple as replacing the small caps.

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    ups.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
That is so very true! However, how much are you will to spend to do so? A typical 20" LCD tv can be had at Walmart for less than $200. Are you willing to spend $400 to replace the LCD screen after the dog knocked it over? Nope, I'm sure as hell won't be.

Then there are manufacturers that won't sell you parts, schematics, custom parts, or special tools. The 'right to repair' was in the news the other day when Biden signed papers to allow joe blow the right to fix his own stuff.
Deep down though I wish there were more people around that fixed stuff like this and the economics were addressed somehow.. Something seems wrong when it is cheaper to buy an entire new X then replace a small part of X.

Deep down though I wish there were more people around that fixed stuff like this and the economics were addressed somehow.. Something seems wrong when it is cheaper to buy an entire new X then replace a small part of X.
Unfortunately that is the mind set we have. I remember way, way, way back I had a Craftsman battery powered drill that used Ni-cd battery. The batter pack died, and a replacement was $50. I paid $20 for the drill. I sucked it up and purchased the battery and kept the drill until if finally went kaput.

Back