diy solar

diy solar

Looking to protect top of battery with plexiglass

Draconius

My battery is now installed in my van, but I want to add a layer of protection between the terminals and my lid and anything shorting the sides. I was thinking of getting 1/8" plexi and heat bending it as a "hat" over my cell pack and screwed to the wood compression slats. My three questions are:

1) is 1/8" plexi thick enough?
2) is it ok if the terminals touch plexi? Due to tight spaces, my terminal lugs would touch the plexi...(My guess is no as plexi is not electrically conductive)
3) do I just do one big cover, or corden off each bus bar?

Bonus silly question...the BMS (standard jiabaida) doesn't need protection from connective shorting like battery terminals, right?

Last edited:
I don't really have an opinion about the plexi ..... except that acrylic might be better.

Generally, you want to keep anything from contacting the battery terminals .... what BMS?

I don't really have an opinion about the plexi ..... except that acrylic might be better.

Generally, you want to keep anything from contacting the battery terminals .... what BMS?
Updated...it's the relabelled jiabaida bms.

Dumb question...but isn't plexi just a manufacturer name for acrylic?

Updated...it's the relabelled jiabaida bms.

Dumb question...but isn't plexi just a manufacturer name for acrylic?
I thought plexi was a different kind of plastic .... but I don't know for sure.

Plexiglass with two s's is the generic term synonymous with acrylic sheet. Plexiglas® with one s is the brand name. Other trade names that have become comparable to Plexiglas® include Acrylite®, Lucite®, and Perspex®.

I read the snippet below twice .... and still don't know the difference .... LOL

1629755841263.png

Foam and acrylic/plexiglass are insulators so thats ok. Just make sure you dont have too many kilograms of weight resting on the cell terminals, they dont like that, as evidenced by fhorst's fire.
I used 2mm neoprene rubber to cover the tops of my cells so nothing shorts the terminals.
Watching the temperatures, heat generation is negligible at normal use so not worried there either.

Foam and acrylic/plexiglass are insulators so thats ok. Just make sure you dont have too many kilograms of weight resting on the cell terminals, they dont like that, as evidenced by fhorst's fire.
I used 2mm neoprene rubber to cover the tops of my cells so nothing shorts the terminals.
Watching the temperatures, heat generation is negligible at normal use so not worried there either.
I'm also debating getting shorter bolts as that's where the "resting" comes into play, but good to know and will definitely avoid then! Especially since this is in a van and rattling while resting on terminals...eek

I like lexan as you can get stuff that is not toxic if it burns and it will not crack or get brittle with heat/time.
That's actually what I was thinking of when I said acrylic .... As vent covers go bad on my camper, I always replace them with the lexan version.

My battery is now installed in my van, but I want to add a layer of protection between the terminals and my lid and anything shorting the sides. I was thinking of getting 1/8" plexi and heat bending it as a "hat" over my cell pack and screwed to the wood compression slats. My three questions are:
Here is a setup with plexy top plate:

That hat thing ... so you can bend it like an U shape ? I did not know it is possible :)

1) is 1/8" plexi thick enough?
2) is it ok if the terminals touch plexi? Due to tight spaces, my terminal lugs would touch the plexi...(My guess is no as plexi is not electrically conductive)
It anything puts downward pressure to the screw or the terminals, that is bad

3) do I just do one big cover, or corden off each bus bar?

Bonus silly question...the BMS (standard jiabaida) doesn't need protection from connective shorting like battery terminals, right?
I think every metal surface that has power needs to be protected from accidental shorting

Plexiglass/Plexiglas is acrylic.
Brittle and easily cracked with age.

Polycarbonate is what you want. Also known as lexan. Bit more expensive, tons stronger.

I injection mold with both.

Will be doing standoffs and a plastic of some sort for my battery pack. I will have the inverter on top of this.

Back