diy solar

diy solar

Low battery voltage alarm

JohnTupper

"Master" Eg4 inverter started low voltage alarm around 4am ~51.2V. Why is this? Super annoying as I assumed we were good to go down into the 48v range.

Why is default settings throwing this alarm? Should I change habits or settings?

Attachments

• 20230825_043505.jpg
    20230825_043505.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230825_043555.jpg
    20230825_043555.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3
Voltage measurement at battery or at inverter? LVD alarm is based on what inverter sees.

Many low voltage trips on inverter are caused by moderate loading of inverter with too small battery cable gauge resulting in voltage drop from battery to inverter.

I would change the setting to whatever the battery manufacturer suggests. EG4 batteries are typically 48v. But if setting 5 is EG4, perhaps you have a bad cell. The BMS is likely reporting the problem to the inverter. Have you tried checking the batteries via the BMS Test app?

Are you set at user defined batt or the lipo 4 setting, I think user defined may get the low voltage setting at the inverter set level while the lipo 4 setting will get you low alarm from the battery BMS if you are using the EG4 batteries.

Below 3.0v cell voltage the cell impedance rises quickly so for a LVD under an inverter load a good number is 3.0v x16 = 48.0 vdc, not including any additional voltage drop for battery cables, lugs, bus bars, current shunt, or circuit breaker. High current circuit breakers have 4 to 5 milliohms of series resistance due to all the stuff they have with contacts, flex brad wire, and high current fast trip series solenoid coil resistance.

I would change the setting to whatever the battery manufacturer suggests. EG4 batteries are typically 48v. But if setting 5 is EG4, perhaps you have a bad cell. The BMS is likely reporting the problem to the inverter. Have you tried checking the batteries via the BMS Test app?
I will, 2nd morning where it's doing this

Back