diy solar

diy solar

Low sun, high sun

0truck0

When the sun is high and the panels are facing the sun power is good. When the sun is low and the panels are facing the sun will power be the same?
All assumes 100% clear line of sight to the sun.

When the sun is high and the panels are facing the sun power is good. When the sun is low and the panels are facing the sun will power be the same?
All assumes 100% clear line of sight to the sun.

No. Power will vary throughout the day with the peak typically at noon for south facing panels (north if in the southern hemisphere).

Looks like this (this also shows the impact of over-paneling):

1711376209405.png

Panels rarely output max rated power in typical conditions. Heating of the cells can easily reduce output by about 10%.

No, a difference in angle of panel in relation to the sun will drastically change your output numbers

No, a difference in angle of panel in relation to the sun will drastically change your output numbers
Mentioned, panels facing the sun, means panels are facing the sun. How to say it simplier??? Perpendicular to the sun in all instances, literally no angle, just perfectly facing the sun.

If panels are facing the sun, then what is causing the loss of power? The sun is basically the exact same distance away noon or morning or evening, clear view of the entire sun, panels facing in the perfect orientation facing the sun in all instances... Yes, sun hits the ground at an angle, but the panel is not on the ground, it is tilted perfectly facing the sun.

Mentioned, panels facing the sun, means panels are facing the sun. How to say it simplier??? Perpendicular to the sun in all instances, literally no angle, just perfectly facing the sun.

If panels are facing the sun, then what is causing the loss of power? The sun is basically the exact same distance away noon or morning or evening, clear view of the entire sun, panels facing in the perfect orientation facing the sun in all instances... Yes, sun hits the ground at an angle, but the panel is not on the ground, it is tilted perfectly facing the sun.
What you need to take into account is the distance through the earths atmosphere the sunlight has to travel before hitting your panels, atmosphere seriously attenuates sunlight due to suspended dust, water vapor et etc. So the lower the sun is in the sky the lower the panel power even if they are pointing directly at it.

Just about every PV sun tracker setup I have reviewed has pretty much indicated the results are not worth the effort to accomplish. Just add more panels.

From what I’ve noticed at my location, it’s pretty much the same if the panels are facing right at the sun (only more or less atmosphere between them and the sun) regardless of time of year. The main reason is heat. When the sun is directly above it’s summer and the panels loose efficiency. If my panels were cool in mid summer it would be a different story, but I could fry an egg on them. If you have a ground array, a manual tilt for seasonal adjustment could be worth it. If you have the real estate just add more panels and avoid the hassle and have a stronger array mount.

From what I’ve noticed at my location, it’s pretty much the same if the panels are facing right at the sun (only more or less atmosphere between them and the sun) regardless of time of year. The main reason is heat. When the sun is directly above it’s summer and the panels loose efficiency. If my panels were cool in mid summer it would be a different story, but I could fry an egg on them. If you have a ground array, a manual tilt for seasonal adjustment could be worth it. If you have the real estate just add more panels and avoid the hassle and have a stronger array mount.
My first panel setups I used a manually adjustable arrangement that I could change tilt angle (and East West direction) thinking it would good to adjust for Season. After a few years I just stopped moving them about and have settled on an orientation that favors best production in Winter.

Back