diy solar

diy solar

Curved array …? East to west …will it work.?

JRH

Solar Wizard
I have always had my array with all panels aimed the same way at all times ……it worked as expected .

In planning my new panels layout I wish to spread the directions out a bit to have a more balenced power longer in the day…
As in east - south- west ….sorta in a simi-circle fashion ..

The question is ,” if all hooked in Parallel ” will the panels facing directly at the sun at a given time , produce full power while the others produce a lower amount …?

it’s my plan that as the sun tracks westward ,different panels will become full producers while other will then fall into lessor producers as the day progresses.

There are NO series strings in this example.

I wish to make sure the lessor exposed panels won’t limit the output of those in full production position as the sun tracks ..

I think I know …but I don’t know that I know….

J.

Pretty sure that'll work, every 'string' will have all (one) panels in the same plane, so that should work. I'm pretty sure all the panels will want to make the same voltage, and they'll each contribute current based on their illumination, so it at least makes sense.
Racking and wiring and fuses and (diodes and?) such are going to be a bear, and it's possible it'll drive any particular MPPT nuts, but it's not wrong on the face of it.

Reactions: JRH
That clearly works with micro inverters which are in parallel. As noted earlier, details of panel specs and MPPT specs could make a difference. My MPPT controller has a minimum startup voltage. Also that many parallel panels undoubtedly may exceed the current specs of the system.

Pretty sure that'll work, every 'string' will have all (one) panels in the same plane, so that should work. I'm pretty sure all the panels will want to make the same voltage, and they'll each contribute current based on their illumination, so it at least makes sense.
Racking and wiring and fuses and (diodes and?) such are going to be a bear, and it's possible it'll drive any particular MPPT nuts, but it's not wrong on the face of it.
There will be 4 strings on this array going to combiner box the to a large Vic CC…

other arrays will be on seperate CC’s .

Yes, concept is correct.But is one panel paralleled a viable voltage for your charge controller and wiring?
I have numbers worked out to work , I just didn’t go into that upfront ..as it confuses the question.…if the concept works your thought is in part two of the question…ha..

I have numbers worked out to work , I just didn’t go into that upfront ..as it confuses the question.…if the concept works your thought is in part two of the question…ha..
Yup, when you do consider charge controller and wire sizing, you will probably want to move up to series strings which will need to be oriented together within each string.

Unless it's a 12v system and the panels are all in a 10ft radius around the battery. Then 1P could work.

My 5500ish watts of panels are setup this way, 3 arrays E, S, W, to a single 150/60 scc. Works great.
That’s good to know … am using similar gear and power on this array …with a 150/100 CC on this part of it..

It will be over paneled about 30% ,maybe more, ?? ……but the arrays would never all line up at the same time to get that high.. but at about 110v the system has plenty of head room to avoid problems in cold weather.

Getting a full curve is tricky but having three arrays going S, W and E should be pretty straightforward

Yup, when you do consider charge controller and wire sizing, you will probably want to move up to series strings which will need to be oriented together within each string.

Unless it's a 12v system and the panels are all in a 10ft radius around the battery. Then 1P could work.
That’s what I planned …it’s a 24v system but each of the 4 arrays consists of 3 series panels at 110 v..they will not be aligned with any other array and each array will paralleled at the combiner box… which runs 100 ft back to the CC in the solar trailer.

Getting a full curve is tricky but having three arrays going S, W and E should be pretty straightforward
Again , it easy for me to get off in the weeds sometimes so far no one understands the question…🤣 ,so kept it simple
It won’t be perfect curve ha ….it will be 4 arrays sorta angled off to cover the
EAST - SE- SOUTH - SSW-. They will be ground mounted on wood and each array can be scooted around after finished …I have no doubt there will be tweaking of this needed..

J.

Again , it easy for me to get off in the weeds sometimes so far no one understands the question…🤣 ,so kept it simple
It won’t be perfect curve ha ….it will be 4 arrays sorta angled off to cover the
EAST - SE- SOUTH - SSW-. They will be ground mounted on wood and each array can be scooted around after finished …I have no doubt there will be tweaking of this needed..

J.
You may be able to parallel the east and west strings as they'll be peaking at different times of the day, if you are SCC limited.

Yup, it works then, 3-3-3-3 with each string of 3 in a flat plane, and the 4 strings spread around.
They will be like my other stuff, each can lay flat or tilt up to near vertical.. depending on season and weather and wind …. The 4 months of winter is where I am trying to plan for… summer I will have more power than I need ….

starting around Nov 15 untill feb 15 they will all be aimed south and tilted about 25-30 degrees .. after that I will start spreading them out again Untill the next fall.

Last winter ( my first winter) showed me my weak spots…I intend to fix them..

J.

You may be able to parallel the east and west strings as they'll be peaking at different times of the day, if you are SCC limited.
Good idea but I don’t think there will be issue with that

I have about 30% headroom on voltage…
@ 20 amps below the ISC limit of 70 ..
About 30-40% possible over paneled on the current , but that would require real good conditions with all panels in sync ,near noon…that’s why I want to angle them off different direction…

I’m not smart enough to plan every possible thing up front, I just try to get things going safely and then keep wading deeper in the pond..and eventually I can start swimmin….

J.

Back