diy solar

diy solar

low temperature cutoff switch

geoloz

hello and thanls in advance for help. I have an rv solar system that uses 2 agm batteries, 2 90 watt panels, go power ul 30 controller. I want to convert to lithium batteries.

I want to buy the ckin older battery w/o low temp cutoff and add an external lo temp disconnect switch.

Question:

what switch do I buy and how do (where) instal it?

thanks
geoloz

There are many temp relay controllers on the net, eBay, and Amazon.

I have used a couple from Amazon with success. Manuals are written in Chinglesh or are hard to find.

There is an interesting mix of naked PCB's like in the post above, and also a bunch which are enclosed.

Currently using this one: Temp Relay because it fit the form factor of my install.
I took mine apart and siliconed the frame and interface and then put it in an Amazon plastic jbox since it is installed underneath my van exposed.

PWM controllers are not ideal for Lithium, usable but not the best option, and the Gopower ul30 is very overpriced.
The problem with a relay or module. is that it will consume power. A better option is a mechanical thermostat switch,
Although not rated for DC should be OK in the panel positive lead with a 90 watt panel.

An alternative would be a battery with low temperature cut off or a controller that could be configured to stop charging at low temperature

Back